Barry Gibb: ‘seizing life and sleeping late’

By Claire Osburn
A&E Editor

After countless hits, accolades, producer credits, major life events and five children, Bee Gee’s rock star Barry Gibb is in the midst of his first-ever solo tour and shows no signs of slowing down.

“Having lost all my brothers and dealing with that factor of life, the idea of seizing life is now more important than anything else,” Gibb said in an exclusive interview with Sidelines. “I seize life, and I sleep late.”

When Barry Gibb and his brothers, twins Robin and Maurice, came onto the music scene more than five decades ago, they were labeled as a comedy trio. The boys were 12 and 9 when the band formed.

“I think a lot of success that we had was almost lucky or accidental,” Gibb said. “We were always searching, and we never really had an identity, never really knew who we were … We didn’t even know we were a pop group when we were kids.”

Gibb graced the university with his celebrity presence recently and lectured and performed for students and community members in Tucker Theatre.

He played solo acoustic renditions of classics, such as “To Love Somebody” and the Beatles’ “The Long and Winding Road.” Before the performance, Gibb toured the Center for Popular Music.

“Apart from [visiting MTSU], I’m gonna hang out with TG Sheppard and Kelly [Lang] and hope to see Ricky Skaggs while I’m in town because he’s a great friend, and hit the record store,” Gibb said. “I love early bluegrass, so, for me, that’s what I gotta go find, any chance I get.”

While Gibb is a music icon on the outside, in reality he is a down-to-earth guy, who possesses a pure, unconditional love for his craft.

“I think the reason that we did make so many good records was because we never stopped; we never wanted to be out of the studio,” Gibb said. “We would spend hours and hours in there playing around and adding harmonies.”

This love continues today, not only through touring, but with writing and recording new material.

“At the moment, we’ve been in my studio at home, so I’m back to analog,” Gibb said. “I’m sort of leaping out of the digital world and going back to how I used to make records, which is multi-track tape and Ampex and actually having faders and a console. I don’t like Pro Tools. I gotta get back to the white noise, that’s what I call it.”

Previous A playlist for your November
Next A slow revolution

2 Comments

1. Avatar
    Cathy
    July 6, 2016
    Reply

Where will they be touring? USA I hope. Would really love to hear and see them perform.

2. Avatar
    Cathy
    July 6, 2016
    Reply

Where will they be performing? USA I hope.