Blue Raider Volleyball Downed by Marshall

Pictured: MTSU Blue Raider volleyball team at their Tuesday night game in Alumni Memorial Gym. Photo by Kyle Bates MTSU Sidelines Staff Photographer

Middle Tennessee (4-10, 0-1 C-USA) lost to Marshall (7-9, 2-0 C-USA) Friday evening in their conference opener, dropping the meeting in a thrilling five-set match.

Senior Ailime de Freitas and junior Chelsea Ross proved to have great games, as Freitas contributed 29 assists while Ross completed 27 kills by the match’s conclusion.

The Blue Raiders won the first set, keeping up with Marshall’s ability to make strong kills. Marshall captured the next set at 26-24, tying the match and putting pressure on Middle Tennessee to maintain some momentum.

MT began the third set just three points ahead of Marshall. Momentum started to swing back in the Blue Raiders’ favor after maintaining the advantage in the third.  If the Blue Raiders wanted to secure a win this set, it meant taking down Marshall in the next two to ensure victory in regulation time. However, MT dropped the third set and went into the fourth set with hope.

A 9-4 Blue Raider lead initiated excitement in the fourth set, with the Blue Raiders eventually winning set four, tying the match at 2-2. The fifth set was in firm control from the Thundering Herd, with Marshall kicking it off with a 6-3 lead. MT narrowed the gap momentarily, remaining just two points down before Marshall pulled away, with the Thundering Herd taking the set at 15-10, and the match.

Southern Miss competes with Middle Tennessee this Sunday at 1 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Gym for the Blue Raider’s conference home opener.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter @Sidelines_Sport

Previous Kate Kastelnik: Moving with the Music
Next Blue Raiders Take Tough Loss in Overtime