Blue Raiders Lose to Memphis 36-17

The Blue Raiders took down WKU Hilltoppers. Photo by R.J. Estrella MTSU Sidelines Staff Photographer

The Blue Raiders failed to capitalize on the momentum from last week’s win, falling 36-17 to in-state rival University Memphis on Saturday night.

Blue Raiders quarterback Austin Grammer struggled against the Tigers defense, notching one interception and a fumble, which was returned for a touchdown.

Memphis was dominant on offense as well, amassing 271 rushing yards and 482 yards total.

Memphis started the game with a 7-yard touchdown pass from Paxton Lynch to Alan Cross. The Tigers then took a 9-point lead following a safety on the Blue Raiders offense.  Middle Tennessee answered two minutes into the first, punching in a one-yard touchdown run with Memphis native Shane Tucker.

In the second quarter, Memphis kicked a field goal to go up 12-7.  Tigers sophomore running back Doroland Dorceus fired off a 32-yard rushing touchdown to raise the lead to 19-7 for Memphis.

Middle Tennessee and Memphis exchanged field goals in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, Lynch threw a 50-yard touchdown pass.  Memphis’ defense followed by forcing a fumble, which was returned for a touchdown by senior defensive back Bobby Mcain. With a little over two minutes left in the fourth quarter, and the game already out of hand, Tucker burst into the end zone for a 3-yard touchdown run.

The Blue Raiders are set to play at Old Dominion on Sept. 26, where they’ll look to finish their road stretch with a win.

For more Blue Raider Football, follow us here at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact sports editors Connor Grott and Ritchie Simmons, email sports@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Adrian Peterson Indicted on Child Abuse Charges
Next Interior design students learn the meaning of “True Blue"

1 Comment

1. […] 0 Comments […]