Folk scholar Stephen Wade to visit MTSU

Grammy-nominated folk musician/scholar Stephen Wade will visit MTSU this week to give a series of concerts and talks.

The main highlight of Wade’s visit will be “A Concert and Conversation with Stephen Wade,” which will take place at 5 p.m. in room S102, the State Farm room, of MTSU’s Business and Aerospace Building as part of the MTSU’s College of Mass Communication’s Tom T. Hall Writers Series.

Wade will hold a brief performance in the atrium of James E. Walker Library at 12 p.m. Wednesday. A meet-and-greet will immediately follow in the library’s Periodicals Lounge until 1:30 p.m.

The concerts and presentations will focus on music, stories and photos of Southern field workers during the Great Depression, which he compiled for his book Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings and the American Experience.

Wade was originally scheduled to visit MTSU this past spring, but was forced to reschedule due to a flight-canceling winter storm in his home state of Maryland

All events are free and open to the public.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com