Local firefighters climb to honor those killed in 9/11 attacks

Local firemen will climb 110 flights of stairs this weekend to honor those who died in the September 11 attacks 13 years ago.

During the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation’s fifth annual stair climb, 343 local firemen will climb the same number as those on duty during the attacks.

The memorial is different than most because the participating firemen will be asked to make this climb in full gear, weighing 60-80 pounds. This authenticity serves to not only make a more impactful memorial, but also to insure better physical fitness of our firefighters, thus improving civilian and firemen safety.

This memorial will take place on Sunday at the William R. Snodgrass Tennessee Tower in Nashville. Registration will begin at 7:45 a.m., followed by a service at 8:30, and the first team of climbers will begin shortly after 9:00.

For more local news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.

To contact news editors Daniel Jansouzian and Max Smith, email newseditors@mtsusidelines.com