Interior design students learn the meaning of “True Blue”

Amanda Farris-Gilliland speaking to MTSU students. Photo by Chelsea Babin

The MTSU Student Chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers held its ninth annual lecture series on Thursday night at the Oaklands Historic House Museum.

The main speaker for the MTSU Human Science Department sponsored event was Amanda Farris-Gilliland, the Lead Decorative Product specialist for Sherwin-Williams and an MTSU alumnus.

Farris-Gilliland explored the history, symbolism, psychology and uses of the color blue, a reference to MTSU’s “True Blue” pledge.

Farris-Gilliland kept the crowd engaged by exploring the use of the color blue throughout pop culture, making connections to blues music and  The Smurfs.

After the brief lesson on the color, Farris-Gilliland gave insight to MTSU’s “True Blue” pledge. She taught a short history of the university and how its mascot became a Blue Raider in 1934 when MTSU football player Charles Sarver won a contest in the Daily News Journal.

Also speaking at the event was Sherwin-Williams Architectural Account Executive Dwight LeClair, who gave a short presentation about the different color-selecting tools available for upcoming interior designers.

For more campus news, follow us here at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.

To contact news editor Max Smith, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Blue Raiders Lose to Memphis 36-17
Next Folk scholar Stephen Wade to visit MTSU