SGA discusses additional proposals for tobacco policy

The MTSU Student Government Association presented a resolution to enforce the tobacco-free policy on campus in Thursday night’s caucus meeting.

Dylan Bogle, senator of basic and applied sciences and the sponsor of the new bill, claims that the idea for better enforcement arose when he realized that students were ignoring the school’s tobacco-free policy and mere warnings for action were not enough to meet the goals MTSU has for its campus.

If the bill is passed, Bogle hopes for the implementation of a $10 to $20 fine for those found guilty of continuously using tobacco-related products on campus despite previous confrontation about the issue.

According to Bogle and Executive Vice President Haley Cobb, faculty members will enforce student tobacco use on campus, while faculty cases will be brought to the attention of the dean and faculty senate.

Suggestions for the bill as discussed by the Senate included zeroing in on more specific issues, like smoking in the classroom, as well as the potential to start a committee dedicated to the issue, similar to traffic court.

In addition, Danny Kelly announced that the Raider Rewards bill, which was passed last semester with the hopes of encouraging students to participate on campus through drawings for prizes, would now be merged with MT Connection Point.

MT Connection Point is a larger but similarly driven program to Raider Rewards. With MT Connection Point, freshmen will receive a variety of prizes in exchange for simply swiping their MTSU IDs when they attend on-campus events. For example, after obtaining eight points through Tier One events such as the Week of Welcome Carnival and Fight Song Competition, each student will be rewarded with an official Connection Point button, a lanyard and a Connection Point cup that can be used in the Student Union for 99 cent drinks.

SGA President Andrew George also announced Gabby Woodward as the new Vice President of Campus Relations in replacement of Hannah Lee, who recently resigned from the position for personal reasons.

For more campus and Student Government news, follow us on www.mtsusidelines, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editors Daniel Jansouzian and Max Smith, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Punk and Bluegrass blend at Muddy Roots
Next Blue Raiders vs Golden Gophers Game Preview