Shawn Jones Signs with Miami Heat

Former Middle Tennessee star Shawn Jones was officially signed to the Heat roster on Tuesday night.

The Hialeah, Florida native signed a non-guaranteed contract with his hometown Miami Heat. Per club policies, terms of the deal were not disclosed to the public.

The 6-foot-7 power forward spent time playing for the Los Angeles Clippers in the Las Vegas Summer League after going undrafted in the 2014 NBA Draft. During the summer, Jones averaged 5.0 points, 5.2 rebounds and 14.4 minutes per game.

Now the 2013-2014 Conference-USA Men’s Basketball Player of the Year will join the likes of Heat stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Shawn Jones averaged 13.55 minutes per game during his first two seasons with the Blue Raiders, only starting three games. But in his junior year, his role increased tremendously, averaging 21.1 minutes per game while starting 26 of his 34 contests with an average of 8.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.

In his senior year of 2013-2014, Jones broke out by averaging 14.2 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. His work garnered a spot on the First-Team All-Conference USA team and as an Associated Press All-American honorable mention.

The Miami Heat currently have 19 players on the roster and will have to trim down to 15 before the start of the season. Shawn Jones will have to prove that he is worthy of a roster spot, with ten listed forwards currently on the team.

Should Jones keep his current roster spot, he will be the only Blue Raider to be on an active NBA roster.

To contact sports editors Connor Grott and Ritchie Simmons, email sports@mtsusidelines.com