Sunday Power Outage has Lasting Effect

Several buildings on campus experienced lingering technological problems following the brief power outage on Sunday evening, keeping students and faculty working well into Monday to rectify them.

Ethan Frana, a senior in the College of Mass Communication and the WMTS General Manager, was in the the John Bragg Mass Communications Building at the time of the outage.

Frana said that Sunday evening he was working in Studio A, a recording studio typically used for band recordings, and while he was patching a microphone cable a loud “pop” emitted from the speakers as the power shut off. After the power came back on, the system had to be rebooted. While the equipment suffered no permanent damage, the student’s session work was lost.

Also affected by the outage was 89.5 WMOT, the National Public Radio affiliate that broadcasts from the Center for Innovation in Media in the Mass Communications Building. According to Greg Lee, WMOT’s Program Director, the power outage interrupted show programing, causing it to be offset by approximately ten minutes. Lee said a radio station engineer was alerted, and had to work to sync the schedule and set the programming back on track.

No long-lasting issues were reported.

The campus TV and student-run radio stations, MT10 and 88.3 WMTS, were also affected. Like Sidelines, they too are based out of the Center for Innovation in Media

Neither the James E. Walker Library nor the computer lab in the Business and Aerospace building reported any long-lasting ill effects from the outage.

For more campus updates follow MTSU Sidelines at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News 

To contact news editors Max Smith and Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Janis Brickey Speaks on The Environment and Place
Next Murfreesboro TSA Employee Arrested for Videoing Co-Worker in Restroom