The Pfunky Griddle puts the “pfunk” in new Murfreesboro breakfast eatery

If you were to walk into The Pfunky Griddle, you will quickly notice that it’s not your typical breakfast eatery. Here, you’re handed a series of items including a pitcher of all you can eat batter, your choice of toppings and a spatula to make your own breakfast. The restaurant also offers alternatives for those with milk or egg allergies, a gluten free menu and a special griddle for those with Celiac Disease, an autoimmune disorder that causes sufferers’ bodies to have a negative reaction when they consume gluten. With quality restaurant equipment on hand, this eatery is capable of rustling up dishes to suit all manner of tastes and dietary requirements.

This new breakfast eatery is owned by former Middle Tennessee State University student, Matt Pfuntner.

“Does it look okay in here? Don’t laugh,” said Pfuntner with a look of uncertainty, inspecting the dining room décor of the new Murfreesboro location, which opened in August.

The family owned restaurant originated in Nashville where it first opened its doors for business on Bransford Avenue in 2007, before it was handed down to Pfuntner by his mother, Penelope.

“I was in the middle of a management class at MTSU and I had a missed call on my phone from my mom,” he said with a look of astonishment. “I called her back she was like, ‘Hey, Matt I don’t want to mess with this restaurant anymore. I just want to focus on catering.”

PfunkyGriddle5
THE PFUNKY GRIDDLE PROVIDES CUSTOMERS WITH INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THEIR OWN BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 7TH PHOTO BY DYLAN SKYE AYCOCK MTSU SIDELINES FEATURES EDITOR

Ms. Pfuntner gave her son the restaurant with only one stipulation: that he would have to pay $10,000 over the course of three months, which he ended up paying through money he made working in the restaurant.

“We had our busiest day ever in Nashville last Sunday,” he beamed. “We were on a two-hour wait, and we also just recently had 80 girls from a sorority rent out the Nashville location.”

Pfuntner spent his time juggling school and working under his mother before he was handed the reins of the business, and when he got his hands on it, he already had plans for new whereabouts and renovations.

“When it was hers, it was untapped potential,” he said, and pointed to the carefully carved grey table in front of him, “I made these tables,that tile was cut by me, I shaved the legs down and made them in my garage and stained it. It took about two and a half weeks to make 24 tables.”

Pfuntner said that his vision was to have a more industrialized restaurant. He described the Nashville location as one that planted the seed for opportunity to expand overtime. The Nashville location was his place to see what needed to be changed.

“This place is built to handle more than Nashville, and this is the way I want the company to go,” he smiled about the Murfreesboro location. “It’s a more well thought out place here, but Nashville’s where we started, and the Nashville location allowed us to do this.”

The idea for The Pfunky Griddle stemmed out of an idea that his grandmother had while working for a woman in Florida.

“My grandmother worked for a lady named Patti who had a place called the Sugar Mill,” he started. “My grandma and my mom worked together to come up with a plan because they wanted to bring the concept to the Nashville community. Patti didn’t have the set-up to franchise and my grandma was supposed to handle the restaurant, but my mom was more business savvy and eventually bought her out, before it came to me.”

When asked where he sees himself in the next ten years he jokes, “Hopefully retired. Actually, I hope to have a franchise.”

Once Pfuntner has things in order in Murfreesboro, he plans to open up a third location in Hendersonville.

“This place is set-up for success,” he said with a smile. “It’s a gimmick, but it’s a gimmick that has replay value.”

General Info:

The Pfunky Griddle is open Monday through Tursday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and and weekends from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and located at 525 N Thompson Ln, Murfreesboro, TN 37129 and 2800 Bransford Ave, Nashville, TN 37204.

Contact Features editor Dylan Skye Aycock at features@mtsusidelines.com

Follow MTSU Sidelines at www.mtsusidelines.com or on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines and on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines.

1. The original Punky Griddle has been a long time resident of Nashville on Bransford Avenue in a house that is hand painted with local artists designs. Although it is a place to go make your own breakfast it is also a place to socialize and enjoy the creative creations others have developed on their skillet. Part of what has always drawn people to Pfunky Griddle is without a doubt the amazingly sweet and unique staff. This is not a typical waiter/waitress job, you need to have an encouraging and creative natural state of mind. Whether you’re a child or an adult making your own pancakes is always an adventure. They have plenty of toppings from fruit to candy and two batter choices plain and whole wheat. Personally, I love the whole wheat with walnuts and chocolate chips for the taste and the texture. Don’t be fooled by the popularity of their pancakes because they have more than just that. The menu varies from Bacon, eggs, fruit bowls, and even French toast. Even more notable than their variety in food pancakes aren’t the only thing you can cook yourself. Some other things on their menu that come out to you mise en place is omelets, French toast, Grilled Cheese, and finally, Biscuits and Gravy. To round things up Pfunky Griddle is ultimately a stop you should not turn down if you are in the area.