Blue Raider Soccer Ties Game Against Southern Mississippi

The MTSU Blue Raider soccer team ended their contest against Southern Mississippi with a 2-2 tie. The Lady Raiders are now 4-6-2 overall and 1-2-1 in Conference USA play.

At the 16 minute mark Casey Adkins of Southern Miss scored a goal after a ball deflected off a MTSU defender. The goal put Adkins’ squad up 1-0, a lead they would maintain until halftime.

The Raiders cranked up the pressure on the Golden Eagles after halftime. At the 70 minute mark, Emily Jorgenson scored a goal off an assist by Angie Lai to the knot the game at 1-1.

Four minutes later the Golden Eagles fouled the Raiders.  Amalie Anderdal served the ball as sophomore Courteney Gibson got the rebound and scored her first collegiate goal giving the Blue Raiders a 2-1 advantage.

With under 4 minutes left in the game, Adkins scored her second goal of the day from a free kick to knot the game at 2-2.

The Blue Raiders controlled the action handily in the second half with two goals, five corner kicks and 12 shots. The game went into overtime, as the battle could not be decided with a mere two halves.

The two teams put up no points in the overtime period to finish the game at 2-2. This was the sixth overtime game of the season for the Blue Raiders, tying a program record for most overtime games in a season.

The Blue Raiders hit the field on October 10 as they host Florida Atlantic in another Conference USA battle.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport