Blue Raider Volleyball Suffers Second Loss to Rice University

Rice University won Friday’s matchup in three sets to one against Middle Tennessee after the Blue Raiders let their lead slip in set four.

Rice freshman Leah Mikesky pushed ahead and stole the lead from MT. Junior Chelsea Ross made a strong kill near the first set’s conclusion (19-16), but had little effect once Rice caught up. The home team maintained a comfortable lead up until a 19-19 tie near the first set’s conclusion. Rice scooped up set one at 25-22, transitioning into the second leading 1-0.

The Owls and Raiders entered set two with quick kills. MT lost pace, going down 15-12, and had just used their first timeout before Rice took hold of the lead, winning it at 25-22.

Rice leaped ahead by five points (10-5) early in the third set before MT would attempt to narrow the gap. A 17-14 lead for Rice became 21-20 with four accurate kills from Ross. Middle Tennessee fought to take the third set and would enter the fourth hoping to force a fifth.

Rice University leapt ahead to a 9-6 lead early in the set. Two errors from the Owls evened up the score at 11, and MT gained a momentary lead over Rice. Rice performed similarly at set four’s end, outscoring the Blue Raiders well into the set. Middle Tennesse lost the set by a score of 25-21, and match, one set to three.

The Blue Raiders are playing at home October 31 against North Texas, marking their first matchup of this season.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport