Dr. Ming Wang Discusses Chinese Culture with Students

Photo by Chelsea Babin, MTSU Sidelines Contributing Writer

Dr. Ming Wang, a Harvard and MIT graduate and one of the few cataract and LASIK surgeons in the world, presented his lecture “China, the sleeping giant has awoken” to MTSU students Thursday afternoon in the Carson-Kennedy Nursing Building.

Wang discussed growing up during China’s Cultural Revolution. To escape being deported to the poorest parts of the country, he learned to play the Chinese violin, also known as the erhu. Later in 1982, he immigrated in the U.S.

“I came to this country…with $50 and a Chinese-English dictionary, but with that, a big American dream,” he said.

He talked about an erhu piece written by a blind composer that inspired him to work hard and get through school.

“He could not see physically,” Wang said. “[and] I could not see mentally any future.”

Along with Wang’s speech, there was a slideshow showing pictures and videos relating to his medical profession and Chinese culture.

Wang’s talk ended with him playing the erhu accompanied by Carlos Enrique, a classical guitarist and composer.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Middle Tennessee basketball squads host Murphy Madness
Next Fifth Person Arrested in Oaklands Mansion Shooting Case.