Middle Tennessee Struggles Early, Finishes Strong at Hoosier Invitational

It was tough sledding in the first two days for the Middle Tennessee women’s tennis team, but they finished strong on Sunday at the 2014 Hoosier Invitational women’s tennis tournament in Bloomington, Indiana.

The three Blue Raider competitors still alive on Sunday in the consolation bracket won their final singles match. Jesse Grace powered by Morehead State’s Aleksandra Savic 6-3, 6-0. Sarah Sederi defeated Morehead State’s Dominique-Chante Mclean 6-2, 6-2. Brittany Huxley also won her final singles match against Western Michigan’s Ella Perinovic 6-2, 6-4.

The tournament did not start out well for the Blue Raiders. MT had only one singles competitor and one doubles team to advance past the first day.

Grace was the only Blue Raider to make it through Friday without a loss. Grace won her first-round match 6-0, 6-3 over Cincinnati’s Kelly Poggensee-Wei to advance to the bracket semifinal Saturday. The other three singles competitors for the Blue Raiders failed to make it through Friday. Sediri dropped her opening match to Cincinnati’s Ali Miller 6-4, 6-4 in a close battle.

Alexandra Torres also came up short in her first round match, losing to Morehead State’s Hayley Wild 6-3, 7-5, 10-6 in three hard-fought sets. Huxley fell 6-2, 6-4 to Indiana’s Kim Schmider in her first-round match. All three moved on to the consolation bracket for matches on Saturday.

In doubles competition, the tandem of Grace and Huxley won both of their matches on Friday. In their first match, they defeated Cincinnati’s Miller and Natalia Abdalla 8-7. They moved on to the second round where they bested Indiana’s Schmider and Sarah Baron 8-2 to advance to the next day of competition.

The team of Torres and Sediri didn’t fare as well. Torres and Sediri opened play with a 8-4 setback against Western Michigan’s Tracy Kuhle and Barbare Eristavi. From there, they moved on the consolation bracket, suffering yet another 8-4 loss against Indiana’s Paula Gutierrez and Mary Beth King.

Saturday proved to be another tough day for the Blue Raiders.

Grace was knocked out of the single winner’s bracket after dropping a 6-1, 6-3 decision against DePaul’s Patricia Lancranjan. Huxley advanced in the singles consolation bracket, earning a tough 6-4, 7-6 (6) win against Western Michigan’s Yoriko Ono. Sediri also suffered a 7-6 (5), 7-5 loss against Western Michigan’s Caroline Aleck. All three would continue on to consolation matches on Sunday.

The duo of Grace and Huxley’s chances of winning a doubles championship ended with an 8-5 setback against Cincinnati’s Katya Bure and Poggensee-Wei in the semifinals. The doubles tandem of Sediri and Torres dropped a pair of consolation matches Saturday. They lost 8-7 (7) against Western Michigan’s Ono and Labina Petrovska. The duo also fell to Western Michigan’s Ella Perinovic and Kuhle 8-4.

Despite the early troubles, the Blue Raiders finished strong on Sunday in consolation bracket action.

Grace, Sediri and Huxley each won their final singles matches, ending the tournament on a strong note for Middle Tennessee.

The women’s tennis team will be in action at the Roberta Alison Fall Classic on October 31 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

For more Blue Raider Sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport

Previous MT clinches championship spot with 1-0 win
Next Five Apps For MTSU Students