Michael Knox Discusses Music Business with Students

By Jamie A. Cooley, MTSU Sidelines Contributing Writer

Michael Knox, the primary producer for Jason Aldean, participated in a hour and a half student Q&A in the Mass Communication building on Tuesday night.

Knox, a MTSU alumnus and vice president of the global independent publishing company Peer Music, answered questions on his success as a producer.

Knox started off by providing the foundation of his career and explained how he began as a “song-plugger” who promoted artists on the rise. He made $40,000 in his first year.

“Now, I find most musicians at live shows,” Knox said. “I’m always looking for something new and fresh in beginning artists.”

He also stated that listeners should grow up and accept country music for it’s newer, modern-day style.

“It’s all [in] believability,” Knox told students. “If you’re a rock artist, don’t come in dressed like Rascal Flatts. The producers have to believe in what the artist is selling.”

Knox told students that that independent record labels are what the industry needs because of the lack of major record labels available.

“If it weren’t for the independents, country music wouldn’t have an industry right now,” Knox said.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com