Moraes Wins Championship for Blue Raiders

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Middle Tennessee’s Nayara Moraes went the distance in the Roberta Alison Fall Classic, hosted by the University of Alabama, winning the singles championship on Saturday for the Blue Raiders women’s tennis team.

In the championship match, Moraes defeated Alabama’s Aryn Greene 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4 in an exciting match in the finals of the Jenny Ketchum draw.

Moraes won two singles matches on Friday to set up her title appearance, and eventual victory.

The Blue Raiders’ good play did not stop with Moraes, as MTSU’s squad picked up three singles victories and four doubles wins.

Jesse Grace and Sarah Sediri both picked up a win in consolation action. Grace defeated Ball State’s Bethany Moore 6-3, 6-4. Sarah Sediri also beat Ball State’s Moore, 6-3, 6-3.

Tiffany William added the third win in singles action for the Blue Raiders by defeating Troy’s Sanae Ohta, 6-4, 6-1. Brittany Huxley was beaten 6-3, 6-4 by Michigan’s Kristy Dodge.

In doubles action, Grace and Huxley won two matches on Saturday.

They won their first match 8-3, and proceeded to win their fifth-place match in their bracket against Mississippi State’s Naomi Tran and Alex Corder.

Moraes and William started off the day by dropping an 8-4 decision against Alabama’s Carmen Blanco and Bennett Dunn.

However, they were able to secure an 8-1 win in their final doubles match.

Moraes started her strong play on Friday, winning two singles matches on the first day of the tournament. She made it through the first round of play with a win over Mississippi State’s Corder, 7-5, 6-1.

This allowed Moraes to advance to the second round of the championship bracket. In the second round, she turned back Ball State’s Rosalina Calderon, 7-5, 6-0 to advance to the finals of the Jenny Ketchum Draw.

The other three Blue Raiders did not fare as well.

Sediri lost her first-round match against Samford’s Carita Moolman, 2-6, 2-6. She was able to come back and defeat Ball State’s Toni Ormond, 7-5, 6-2 in her second match of the day.

William went the same route as Sediri, suffering a 3-6, 2-6 setback against DePaul’s Ana Valdutu in first-round action.

She was able to bounce back for a 6-3, 6-2 win against Samford’s Yasmeen Ebada in her second match.

Huxley lost both of her Friday matches in agonizing fashion. She went the distance in her first-round match against DePaul’s Yasmin King, dropping a 1-6, 6-7, 11-13 decision.

Huxley’s bad luck would continue into her next match. She lost a hard-fought battle to Ball State’s Courtney Earnest, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 4-7.

Doubles action did not prove to be as successful for the Blue Raiders.

The duo of William and Moraes dropped an 8-4 decision to Alabama’s Blanco and Dunn. The other Blue Raiders tandem of Alexandra Torres and Sediri suffered a similar fate, losing their opening-round match 8-1 to Mississippi’s Allie Robbins and Marija Multinovic.

The close of the Roberta Alison Fall Classic marks the end of the fall season for the Blue Raiders women’s tennis team.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport

Previous MTSU competes against C-USA schools in food drive
Next Campus Style Watch: November 3, 2014