Nontraditional Student Celebration Dinner Features Special Guest

A Student Week Dinner honoring nontraditional students that featured guest speaker and life coach Robin Crawford was held in the Student Union Ballroom on Tuesday night.

The dinner, hosted by the June Anderson Center for Women and Nontraditional Students, was one of many events held to connect nontraditional students to one another and the university.

According to Zaver Moore, a 24-year-old pursuing his master’s degree in Experimental Psychology, nontraditional students are very thankful for events like these.

“I know that this population really appreciates the work that the [June Anderson Center] does because without it, we would be lost in the pool of more traditional things that our obligations keep us from participating in,” Moore said.

26-year-old Social Work major Tressa Spingler appreciates the recognition that nontraditional students receive from the celebration dinner.

“It highlights and honors people that are trying to go back to school because I know that can be harder for them more so than other [students],” Spingler said.

Crawford, founder of WORKZGOOD, a professional mentoring and consultation service, talked about the importance of self-understanding, ignoring negative cultural influences, and what it means to do what you love by choosing work consciously.

“We’re living in a time today of unprecedented possibility and opportunity. . .[but] we’ve resigned ourselves to being okay with mediocrity, and it is unacceptable,” Crawford said.

Not only were they celebrated, but nontraditional students at the dinner were encouraged and advised by guest speaker Robin Crawford.

“Take some time to explore who you are,” Crawford advised. “Going after what makes your heart sing, what makes your eyes light up. . .those opportunities should be available to everyone.”

For more campus updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com