Quick Meals for College Students

Photo by John Coulston. MTSU Sidelines Lifestyles Editor

Being a college student likely means being broke and hungry all the time. These three quick and easy meals can help change that.

Banana Bread

Did you buy too many bananas and now you have a few overripe ones? Don’t throw them away; make some banana bread for a quick snack or breakfast in the mornings when you’re on the go.

Banana bread is great for quick snacks. Photo by Chelsea Babin, MTSU Sidelines Staff Writer

All you need are:

3 eggs
¾ cup butter
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
 1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3-4 overipe bananas

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees so by the time you are done mixing everything together, it will be warm enough to cook your bread.

In a large bowl, mix the sugar, flour, salt and baking soda and then set the bowl aside. In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Make sure to beat the eggs extremely well. Melt the butter for 5-15 seconds in 5 second intervals.

In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas so they are as close to a liquid as possible. Then you will combine the eggs, butter, bananas and vanilla into one bowl and stir well. Once everything is mixed, add them to the dry ingredient bowl.

Mix until the dry ingredients have absorbed everything and the batter is even. Then divide the batter into two greased pans and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

After it has been cooked, take them out of the oven, let the loaves cool a bit and enjoy!

English Muffin Pizza

If you want something that’s a little savorier and easy on the wallet, English muffin pepperoni pizza is just what you need.

All you need are:

Freshly-made English muffin pizzas Photo by Chelsea Babin, MTSU Sidelines Staff Writer
Freshly-made English muffin pizzas
Photo by Chelsea Babin, MTSU Sidelines Staff Writer
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz pepperoni slices
an 8 oz jar of marinara sauce
1 bag of English muffins (6 muffins serves 3 people; 2 muffins per person)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and split your English muffins in half. Next, line a baking sheet with foil or baking paper. Place the muffins 1-2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Then add 2 to 3 scoops of sauce onto each half of bread and put as much cheese and pepperoni on the muffins as you want. \

Bake for 5-10 minutes and remove from the oven once the cheese has melted and started to brown. Top them off with some Parmesan and enjoy!

If using a microwave, cook two halves at a time for 30 second intervals until done. However, cheese boil and hardens if microwaved for extended periods, so be careful.

Fritos chili

It’s getting colder outside and chili is always a popular meal during the winter months. If you’re looking for a hot, substantial meal, try chili with Fritos, also known as a Petro.  This is quick, simple, and cost efficient.

All you need are:

Petro, a mix of Fritos and chili, is a great meal for college students. Photo by Chelsea Babin, MTSU Sidelines Staff Writer
1 can of chili
1-3 oz. Fritos
2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 dollop of sour cream.

Cook the chili according to the can’s specifications. There are a couple of ways to mix the Fritos into the chili. You can put them in the bowl whole and then pour the chili on top or you can crush the Fritos up and mix them with the chili. Then you can add cheese and sour cream.

This is perfect for as a dorm room meal—It’s filling and homey-feeling. If you’d rather, you can make your own chili and add the Fritos to that! Whichever your heart desires.

You now have something for breakfast, lunch and dinner that are all super easy to make if you’re on a tight budget. Feel free to add your own personal style and taste to any of the recipes. You never know, you might create your new favorite meal!

Recipe source: collegerecipes.com

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Election 2014 Results Roundup
Next <i>A Doll's House</i> Delights Audience at Tucker Theatre

1 Comment

1. […] Quick Meals for College Students […]