Obama answers questions on Immigration Reform in South Nashville

President Barack Obama on Tuesday tried to reassure immigrants that if they register under his new executive action they won’t be a priority for deportation in the future.

Obama heard from several participants in a town hall at an immigrant community center that they are fearful to give their information to the government. One young woman asked Obama what would happen to them if the next president ends the program.

Obama said although the assurance they won’t be deported is temporary, he’s confident they will be able to stay in the United States with their children.

“It’s true that a future administration might try to reverse some of our policies,” Obama said. “But I’ll be honest with you, I think that the American people basically have a good heart and want to treat people fairly.

“I think any future administration that tried to punish people for doing the right thing would not have the support of the American people,” he said.

He said giving people the confidence they can register will be an important part of the program’s success.

Obama recently used his executive authority to extend deportation relief and work permits to some 4 million immigrants in the U.S. illegally. His action would affect those who have been here more than five years and have children.

Republican Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, who did not attend Obama’s event, said the current immigration system isn’t working, but Obama should have worked with lawmakers on a solution instead of taking executive action.

“I think this was kind of rolling a hand grenade in room and blew up the possibility for a good discussion that we should have had, and that long term it will be harmful to really solving the immigration situation,” Haslam told reporters after a speech to the Farm Bureau in Franklin, Tennessee.