President Obama talks immigration reform in Nashville

President Barack Obama arrived at Berry Airfield on Tuesday, December 9, 2014 to speak on immigration. (Greg French/MTSU Sidelines)

President Barack Obama is in Nashville to talk at Casa Azafran on Nolensville Pike on his immigration reform plan.

Air Force One landed at the Berry Field Air National Guard Base at about 1:40 p.m. Tuesday, about an hour ahead of schedule. With him on the plane were Tennessee Democratic U.S. Representatives Jim Cooper and Steve Cohen.

Before departing for Casa Azafran, Obama greeted a group of guests, including several students.

Obama’s immigration plan has faced heavy criticism from conservatives since it was unveiled in November. The plan may grant green cards to up to five million immigrants who are currently living in the country illegally to bring them “out of the shadows.”

The plan would extend “provisional legal status” to agricultural workers and those who entered the country as children, and children who were brought into the country illegally by their parents.

Nashville boasts one of the fastest-growing foreign-born population in the country. The U.S. Census estimates that 11.9 percent of Nashville-Davidson residents are foreign-born, compared to 4.6 percent statewide, and that 14.6 percent of Nashville homes speak a language other than English.

For more community news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Students Showcase Projects at Fall Listening Night
Next Obama answers questions on Immigration Reform in South Nashville