Blue Raider Kevin Byard Announces Return for 2015 via Twitter

Photo courtesy of Go Blue Raiders

Middle Tennessee safety Kevin Byard unofficially confirmed, via Twitter, that he will return for his senior season.

Byard, a 2014 C-USA first-team selection, was a highly regarded safety in the upcoming draft class.

The Lithonia, Georgia native ranked fourth on the team with 66 total tackles and added a C-USA leading six interceptions in his 2013-14 campaign.

Byard also ranks first in interception return yards (326) and interceptions returned for touchdowns (4).

Although the redshirt senior has compiled stats and numerous awards, Byard lacks one accolade heading into his final year as a Blue Raider.

A bowl win.

Byard joined the Blue Raiders in the 2011-12 season, but was given a redshirt for the duration of the year.

Since 2012, the first year Byard saw significant playing time, the Blue Raiders have reached a bowl game only once despite being bowl eligible every year since the 2011-12 season.

Middle Tennessee’s lone bowl game, with Byard on the team, ended in a 24-6 defeat against Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl on December 30, 2013.

With Byard garnering multiple individual awards, perhaps the standout safety is searching for an award in the form of a bowl win before closing out his Blue Raider career.

Previous Plans for George Jones Museum to be Unveiled Monday
Next George Jones Museum to Open in April