Blue Raider men’s tennis split doubleheader

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Middle Tennessee’s men’s tennis team split their two matches Friday at the Nashboro Village Athletic Club, losing 7-0 to North Carolina State and defeating Jackson State, 7-0.

MTSU started off the day in doubles play against the nationally ranked Wolfpack, who came into the match ranked No. 31 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Middle Tennessee’s Dima Zyhmantovic and Robin Riethmueller started the day with a 6-1 loss to NC State’s Nick Horton and Thomas Weigel.

The next two doubles matches yielded similar results for the Blue Raiders.

Ben Davis and Ettore Zito would fall 6-3 to the Wolfpack’s No. 19-ranked duo of Robbie Mudge and Ian Dempster.

North Carolina State’s Simon Norenius and Austin Powell finished the doubles play sweep for the Wolfpack, beating Victor Hoang and Yannick Born, 6-3.

Singles play was also swept by NC State, but the Blue Raiders held their own against some nationally ranked players.

No. 51-ranked Powell dropped his first set to MTSU’s Davis. The match required a third set, where Davis eventually fell 6-4, 4-6, 4-6.

Zito also took the first set in his match against No. 123-ranked Mudge. However, he also lost by set finals of 6-4, 4-6, 4-6.

Riethmueller proved to put up a fight in his match against No. 39-ranked Horton. It was a tight contest, but Riethmueller eventually dropped the match 6-7 (5-7), 4-6.

MTSU’s Gian Issa battled hard against the Wolfpack’s Wiegel. The result ended up going the way of NC State, with Issa losing 6-4, 2-6, 0-1 (2-10).

Zyhmantovich and Hoang did not produce performances as thrilling as their teammates. Zyhmantovich dropped his match to Beck Bond by set finals of 1-6, 2-6. Hoang was also defeated, losing 4-6, 2-6 to Norenius.

Following their 7-0 loss to NC State, MTSU turned their attention to Jackson State.

Middle Tennessee reversed their result in their earlier matchup against NC State, earning a sweep over the Jackson State Tigers, 7-0.

The results in doubles play were never in doubt. Hoang and Born defeated the Tigers’ tandem of Carlos Martinez and Richie Aganwal, 6-3.

The duo of Zito and Davis proved to play an even better match, defeating Camilo Patino and Herman Jeria by a final of 6-1.

Riethmueller and Zyhmantovic dominated in their match, easily brushing away Styllanon Gkontsaris and Vishu Prasad by a final tally of 6-0 to give the Blue Raiders a sweep in doubles play.

Just as in doubles play, MTSU did not drop one set in singles play.

Davis defeated Martinez by a set final of 6-2, 6-2. Zyhmantovic followed suit with a victory over Patino, 6-2, 6-1.

Hoang provided the Blue Raiders with another victory, as he won against the Tigers’ Miguel Gomez Martin, 6-3, 6-3. Issa proved to be more dominant in his match, defeating Aganwal, 6-1, 6-1.

The last two matches were never in question either. MTSU’s Born took care of Prasad, beating him 6-2, 6-4.

The Blue Raiders’ Miguel Fernandez finished off the overall sweep for Middle Tennessee, picking up a 6-3, 6-2 victory against Federico Buscarino.

This gave Middle Tennessee the eventual 7-0 victory over Jackson State. With the split on Friday, the Blue Raiders are now 3-1 on the season.

The Blue Raiders will return to the court this Sunday at the Nashboro Village Athletic Club to take on Tennessee Tech. The match is set to begin at 12 p.m. CST.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or reach him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous Police: Murfreesboro Man Arrested after Standoff
Next 'Mom, I'm Quitting College to Join the Circus'