Middle Tennessee Edged by Roadrunners

Junior forward Darnell Harris shoots during Saturday night's game against Charlotte. The Blue Raiders won 72-69 in another conference win at home. (Greg French/MTSU Sidelines)

SAN ANTONIO – After an anemic second half, Middle Tennessee (12-9, 5-3 C-USA) fell short on the road, losing 69-58 to UTSA (10-9, 4-4 C-USA).

The Blue Raiders struggled offensively in the first half, getting down by as many as nine with 6:22 left in the first.

However, the last four minutes of the first half were all Middle Tennessee, as they went on a 15-3 run to end the period. Junior Perrin Buford took over for the Blue Raiders, scoring six of his 15 points in the last three minutes.

The second half proved to be all Texas-San Antonio.

The Roadrunners capitalized on multiple Blue Raider miscues, regaining the lead just before the under-16 media timeout. The Blue Raiders led only one other time in the second half, as Jacquez Rozier hit a layup with 12 minutes remaining in the game, giving MTSU a 49-48 lead.

Buford and junior forward Darnell Harris led the Blue Raiders on the night with 15 points each, and also combined for 15 rebounds as well.

Sophomore Reggie Upshaw posted 11 points, while also grabbing eight rebounds.

The Roadrunners finished with four players in double figures. Senior Kaj-Bjorn Sherman led all scorers with 20 points on 7-of-10 shooting, while also grabbing seven rebounds.

Fellow senior Jeromie Hill finished with 18 points and grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds, all on the defensive glass. Junior Ryan Bowie finished with 16 points, while senior Keon Lewis added 10 of his own.

Middle Tennessee shot a dismal 35 percent from the field on 23-of-66 shooting.  The Blue Raiders also shot a mere 4-of-22 from three-point range, and committed 21 fouls as a team.

UTSA finished the night by converting 52 percent of their shots (23-of-44 shooting). The Roadrunners finished 6-of-16 on three-point shots, and assisted on 13 of their 23 made baskets.

The Blue Raiders will look to rebound on the road Saturday against UTEP. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT at Don Haskins Arena in El Paso, Texas.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or reach him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous MTSU Honors Students Assist Adam's Place Residents with Technology
Next Blue Raiders pull away late for fourth straight win