Blue Raiders win 82-58 over FAU Owls

Junior forward Darnell Harris was the leading scorer in Middle Tennessee's game on Saturday, January 10 against Florida Atlantic University's Owls. (Greg French/MTSU Sidelines)

Middle Tennessee’s Blue Raiders (9-7, 2-1 C-USA) put together perhaps their best win of the season with an 82-58 victory over the Owls of FAU (7-7, 0-3 C-USA).

Junior Darnell Harris was key in the Blue Raiders victory, scoring a career-high 24 points on 9-12 shooting, while also adding six rebounds on the night. Harris was one of four Blue Raiders to score in double figures on Saturday.

Senior Marcus Terrance, junior Perrin Buford and sophomore Reggie Upshaw all added 12 points each. Terrance hit two key three-pointers, one extending Middle Tennessee’s lead to eight shortly before halftime, giving the team a 42-34 before the dead period. Terrance’s second three came right out of the gate in the second half to stretch the lead to 11.

The second half was all Middle Tennessee as they stretched their lead, going on a 31-9 run leading up to the under-8 media timeout. The Blue Raiders never let FAU within 10 points for the remainder of the game.

Rebounding was pivotal for the Blue Raiders, as they secured a 39-19 rebounding advantage, including 24 defensive rebounds. The Blue Raiders were dominant on the defensive glass, as they didn’t allow a single FAU offensive rebound.

The Blue Raiders would also force 16 Owl turnovers and were solid passing the ball, assisting on 10 of their 27 made baskets. Most impressive, the Blue Raiders were extremely solid at the charity stripe, hitting 24 of their 26 free throws.

Middle Tennessee will look to continue their conference win streak on Jan. 15 in Hattiesburg against Southern Mississippi. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Previous Blue Raiders grab fifth straight win over FAU
Next Plans for George Jones Museum to be Unveiled Monday