Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Fiber-Optic Internet Coming to Nashville, Google Says

Nashville was named one of four southeastern metropolitan areas that will be equipped with Google Fiber, a fiberoptic internet infrastructure that promises gigabit-per-second download speeds.

A post on the official Google blog Tuesday afternoon announced that the Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham metropolitan areas are all “Upcoming Fiber Cities,” joining current “fiber” cities Provo, Utah; Austin, Texas and Kansas City, Kansas. Kansas City was the first in the nation to have Google Fiber. It would be great news for online business owners and those who work from home who rely on having high-quality internet (see more https://www.megapath.com/data/fiber-access/) to do their jobs.

Google has been working with city leaders for the past year on crafting plans for the long-term investment of installing the network, according to the blog. A lot of residents feel that having faster internet options in my area will not only benefit their day-to-day to lives but will encourage further investment into the area as a whole.

“Now the really hard work begins,” Google announced on their blog. “Our next step is to work with cities to create a detailed map of where we can put our thousands of miles of fiber, using existing infrastructure such as utility poles and underground conduit, and making sure to avoid things like gas and water lines. Then a team of surveyors and engineers will hit the streets to fill in missing details.”

Construction will begin after the network has been designed. Google estimates planning will take several months.

Fiberoptic cables transmit data through pulses of laser light rather than conventional electricity, which allows them to carry more data at once, with less noise able to interfere with the signal.

For more local updates, follow us at www.mtusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editors Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com