Inside the Stats: Insell and the Blue Raiders

Middle Tennessee's Blue Raider women's basketball faced Southern Mississippi on Thursday, January 15 in Murphy Center. The Blue Raiders fell to Southern Miss 77-75 in overtime after a close game. (Greg French/MTSU Sidelines)

Here is a look at some interesting team stats and individual stats on the Middle Tennessee women’s basketball team:

Offensive Power

The Blue Raiders have been explosive on offense so far this season. They rank second in Conference-USA in scoring offense (74.1 points per game). They also rank second in the conference in scoring margin (+11.8).

Shooting has also been a strong point for Middle Tennessee, ranking third in the conference in offensive field goal percentage (42.3 percent).

Most notably, the three-point shot has been a big part of the Blue Raider offense. MTSU ranks first in the conference in three-pointers made per game, averaging 7.8 long-range baskets per contest.

Part of MTSU’s offensive prowess has been their effectiveness on the glass, pulling down 15.9 offensive rebounds per game, ranking them third in the conference.

Middle Tennessee has not only shot the ball well, but they have shared it well too. They average 15.4 assists per game, putting them at fourth in the conference.

Along with sharing the ball well, the Blue Raiders have been sure-handed on offense. Their plus-4.71 turnover margin is first in the conference.

Opportunistic Defense

The 2014-2015 Blue Raiders have been an opportunistic bunch on defense. They rank second in the conference in steals, nabbing 10.6 steals per game.

MTSU has also protected the paint to this point in the season. They have blocked 4.2 shots per game, tying them with the University of Texas-San Antonio for tops in the conference.

While the defense has been good at forcing turnovers and blocking shots, they have struggled to defend their opponent’s shots.

In overall defensive field goal percentage, the Blue Raiders rank eighth in the conference, allowing their opponents to shoot 40.5 percent from the field.

Specifically, MTSU has struggled to defend the three-point shot. Opponents are shooting the three at a 32.5 percent clip against them, ranking the Blue Raiders 11th in three-point field goal percentage defense.

Olivia Jones and Cheyenne Parker

The tandem of sophomore Olivia Jones and senior Cheyenne Parker has proven to be lethal this season. Jones and Parker lead the conference in points per game, averaging 21.3 and 17.4 points per contest, respectively.

Parker and Jones are also near the top in rebounding, ranking fourth and fifth in the conference, respectively. Parker is among the nation’s leaders in offensive rebounding, grabbing 5.0 offensive boards per game, which ranks her fourth in the nation.

The transfer senior forward has been special of late. Parker was named C-USA Women’s Basketball Player of the Week on Monday, her first career Player of the Week award as a Blue Raider.

In the past two games, she has nearly averaged a triple-double. Parker averaged 21 points, 11 rebounds and seven blocked shots in the past two contests. She nearly became the first Blue Raider in women’s history to record a triple-double this past Thursday at Old Dominion, scoring 12 points, grabbing 13 rebounds and blocking nine shots in the game.

Not to be outdone, Jones has been named C-USA Women’s Basketball Player of the Week twice this season. She not only leads the conference in scoring, but she also leads the conference in three-pointers made per game, making 2.6 three-pointers per contest.

Jones’ defensive game has been effective as well. She ranks first in the conference, averaging 2.9 steals per game. Jones has been important on the glass as well, ranking sixth in offensive rebounds, and third in defensive rebounds.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or reach him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous YouTuber Spoken Reasons to Speak Saturday
Next Reporters and Alderman Visit MTSU to Discuss Ferguson