MTSU earns fifth straight road win, defeats ODU

Pictured: Junior guard Caroline Warden Photo by Greg French MTSU Sidelines Staff Photographer

NORFOLK, Va. – Middle Tennessee (11-5, 5-1 C-USA) picked up their fifth straight road win at Old Dominion’s Constant Center Thursday, 65-48. It was their seventh win in eight games.

The Blue Raiders dominated the Lady Monarchs (10-7, 3-3 C-USA) from beginning to end. MTSU got out to an early 9-0 lead within the first five minutes of the game.

The lead would prove to stay with Middle Tennessee the rest of the way.

ODU would close the Blue Raiders’ lead to 9-6 with 11:50 remaining in the first half, but their comeback was quickly countered by a 10-0 Blue Raider run, ignited by a Caroline Warden three-pointer.

This run would leave MTSU with a 19-6 lead after a Cheyenne Parker layup with 7:22 remaining in the opening frame. The Blue Raiders would carry a 29-19 lead going into the half.

The final result was never in question in the second half. The Blue Raiders maintained their double-digit lead through the final buzzer, due in large part to multiple Monarch turnovers.

The Blue Raiders turned 16 Old Dominion turnovers into 20 points, while MTSU only turned the ball over nine times.

Three Blue Raiders reached double figures in the victory over the Monarchs, with one of those players being sophomore Olivia Jones. Jones scored a game-high 24 points, making this her eighth 20-plus point performance in the past nine games.

Jones also added eight rebounds in a near double-double effort.

Senior Cheyenne Parker barely missed recording the first triple-double in Blue Raider women’s basketball history. The transfer forward scored 12 points, while grabbing a game-high 13 boards and blocking a career-high nine shots.

Junior Brea Edwards was the third Blue Raider to reach double figures, scoring 11 points and adding five rebounds.

Senior Shanice Cason and sophomore Ty Petty were also important in the win. Cason scored seven points, tied her season-high with six rebounds, dished four assists and recorded three steals. Petty added eight points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals.

The Blue Raiders will look to extend their five-game road winning streak at Charlotte Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 11 a.m CT. The game will also be televised on Fox Sports.

Previous Raiders Edge Monarchs in OT
Next Murfreesboro Police: University Ridge Drug Bust Results in Seven Arrests