MTSU Upset Bid Falls Short at Tennessee

Middle Tennessee fought hard on Sunday, but their attempts at an upset would come up shy, as they would lose 4-3 at No. 33 Tennessee.

The difference in the match would prove to be doubles play. MTSU and Tennessee would split the six singles matches, but UT would take the doubles point, eventually being the deciding factor in the match.

In doubles play, the Lady Vols won two matches easily to take the overall point. Middle Tennessee’s Jesse Grace and Brittany Huxley were defeated 6-1 by UT’s Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams.

Nayara Moraes and Giulia Squadrin would suffer the same fate, as they would fall 6-1 to the Lady Vols’ Tiffany Tavares and Victoria Olivarez.

The third match proved to be a much tighter affair. MTSU’s Tiffany William and Darya Shulzhanok were locked up against Eve Repic and Laurence Guevremont. The match was tied at 3-3, but it would go unfinished after UT secured the overall point in doubles play.

The singles matches would prove to be highly contested, with both teams splitting the six singles matches.

Shulzhanok would pick up a big win on the day, continuing her impressive play as of late. She would pick up a 6-4, 6-4 win against UT’s No. 40-ranked Repic. It was Shulzhanok’s fourth straight win, and it ended Repic’s four-game win streak.

No. 67-ranked William picked up a close 6-4, 7-5 victory against a streaking Henderson. William’s win ended Henderson’s career-high six-game win streak.

Moraes picked up the third, and final, win for the Blue Raiders in singles play, defeating Tavares 6-1, 6-3.

Grace, Squadrin and Huxley would all drop their singles matches. Grace lost 6-0, 6-1 to Williams, and Squadrin dropped her contest to Olivarez 6-3, 6-1. Huxley fell to UT’s Guevremont in a 6-4, 6-2 decision.

With a 3-3 split in the singles matches, MTSU would fall short to Tennessee, 4-3. The loss ended the Blue Raiders’ three-match win streak.

Middle Tennessee will head to Atlanta for its next match at Georgia State on Friday. The match is set to begin at 6:30 p.m. CT.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or reach him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous Graphic Design Alumni Showcased in Todd Exhibit
Next Colleges Meet in Nashville in Effort to Fight Sex Assaults