MTSU Women’s Tennis sweeps Belmont, Austin Peay in home opener

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Middle Tennessee women’s tennis opened up its home schedule with back-to-back wins against the Belmont Bruins and the Austin Peay Lady Govs at the Nashboro Village Athletic Club on Friday.

The Blue Raiders were dominant on the day, sweeping both the Bruins and the Lady Govs. MTSU would only drop one set the entire day.

MTSU started off the day with their match against Belmont, proving to handle the Bruins easily in doubles play.

Nayara Moraes and Giulia Squadrin picked up the first doubles win of the day, 6-0, over Belmont’s Ann Lauren Fiepke and Suzanna Stapler.

Jesse Grace and Brittany Huxley would follow with a 6-1 win over Lindsey Whitehead and Kendall Warren. MTSU’s Tiffany William and Darya Shulzhanok finished off doubles play against Laura Van Eeckhoudt and Abbie Mather with a 6-3 victory.

Singles action was dominated by the Blue Raiders as well, beginning with a 6-1, 6-0 win by William over Whitehead. Squadrin followed her lead with a victory of 6-0, 6-3 over Mather.

Middle Tennessee’s Shuzhanok would also pick up a win over Van Eeckhoudt, earning a 6-1, 6-1 sweep.

Moraes continued her strong play, blanking Fiepke 6-0, 6-0 as she cruised to a win. Huxley added another win for the Blue Raiders, winning 6-0, 6-4 over Stapler.

It seemed as if MTSU would sweep Belmont easily, but Grace’s singles match against Warren turned out to be a nail-biter.

She eased through the first set 6-0, but would drop the second set by a margin of 5-7. She secured the sweep by winning the final three games of the third set to take the match, 7-5.

The Blue Raiders’ impressive play against the Bruins would carry over to the afternoon, where they took on the Lady Govs.

Middle Tennessee would not drop a single set against Austin Peay. Grace and Huxley started the match, and doubles play, off with a 6-0, 6-0 win over the Lady Govs’ Ornella Di Salvo and Hannah Tatlock.

William and Shulzhanok would secure another Blue Raider win with a 6-3 victory over Vanessa Taveras and Brittney Covington.

Sarah Sediri and Alexandra Torres struggled in the beginning of their match against Isabela Jovanovic and Jovana Kavac, trailing 1-4 at one point. The duo would battle back to take the match at 7-5.

Their win vaulted the Blue Raiders to a perfect day in doubles play.

MTSU would finish with strong play in their singles matches against Austin Peay. Shulzhanok powered through her match versus Di Salvo, shutting her out 6-0, 6-0.

Sediri was nearly as impressive in her match, winning 6-1, 6-1 over Tatlock. Both Grace and Squadrin won 6-1, 6-2 over Taveras and Covington, respectively.

Huxley and Moraes were the last Blue Raiders to hit the court, winning both their matches and securing the second sweep of the day. Huxley defeated Jovanovic 6-3, 6-2, and Moraes ended the day with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Kavac.

Middle Tennessee will hit the courts in Knoxville on Sunday, taking on the Tennessee Volunteers at 10 a.m. CT.

Previous Prison Visitor Filing Lawsuit After Being 'Forced to Prove Menstruation'
Next Doc Gives an Intimate Look at Skrillex's 2014 Bonnaroo SuperJam