MTSU’s Cope Building Renovated in Time for Spring

The Cope Administration building on Wednesday, Jan. 21, 2015. The building underwent a 10-month project to repair and renovate the 51-year-old structure. (MTSU Sidelines/Samantha Hearn)

Work concludes on the Cope Administration Building in time for the spring semester and draws a 10-month project to repair and renovate the 51-year-old structure to a close.

According to Patti Miller, assistant vice president and university architect, several administrative offices in Cope have been moved and renovated. Additionally, Cope’s restrooms, lighting, plumbing, security and other infrastructure were upgraded. Asbestos was also removed from affected areas.

The work follows last March’s move of Admissions, Records, Financial Aid, Registrar and Bursar offices from Cope into the new Student Services and Admissions Center and the MT One Stop on the east side of campus.

“It was something of a domino effect,” Miller said of the $3 million project, which was approved by the State Building Commission. “Moving those operations from Cope allowed the opportunity for overdue repairs, building better workspaces and much-needed infrastructure improvements.”

Leonard Simms, senior architect with Gould Turner, who led the redesign, said the project allowed MTSU to address necessary improvements for safety, handicapped access and the workplace environment.

Simms said the project balanced the need to modernize spaces and finishes while respecting the “rich history” of the early-60s era, 50,319-square-foot building, which is named for former MTSU president Dr. Quill E. Cope.

“These changes really give the building new life,” he said.

Andrew Oppmann contributed to this report.

For more campus updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editors Meagan White and Garrett Walker, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous MTSU Hires Branam as New Director of Development
Next Blue Raider Women's Basketball: Mid-Season Review