Inexpensive Super Bowl Dishes

Whether you’re a New England Patriots or a Seattle Seahawks fan, you will likely encounter some sort of Super Bowl party tomorrow. If you’re hosting or in need of a dish to take to a party, here’s a few fairly simple and inexpensive dishes courtesy of AllRecipes.com:

The 3rd Down Chip Dip (a.k.a beef-bean-and-cheese-dip)

Ingredients:

1 pound low-fat ground beef
1 taco seasoning packet
1 can black beans, drained
Few tablespoons taco sauce or Taco Bell Restaurant Sauce
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese (1/3 less fat OK), softened
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese (or whatever kind you like)
Tortilla chips, for serving

Begin by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.

Cook the ground beef until it is browned and then add the taco seasoning according to the packet’s directions. Add the black beans and stir until they are heated. Then add the taco sauce of your choice. Stir and cook for a few more minutes.

Use a 9-by-13 inch pan, either glass or metal, and spread the cream cheese evenly on the bottom. Then place the beef and bean mix over the cream cheese. Evenly cover the mix with whichever shredded cheese you’d like. Bake for around 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges bubble. Serve with tortilla chips.

Game Day Buffalo Wings

Wing ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
20 chicken wings

Sauce ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Frank's® hot sauce
2 dashes ground black pepper
2 dashes garlic powder

In a small bowl, mix flour, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Then place chicken wings in a large bowl and sprinkle the flour mixture over them until they are evenly coated. After you have coated the wings, cover and refrigerate for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with non-stick cooking spray and place wings on the cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, turning the wings once. Broil for 2 minutes, turning once. Once done with broiling, toss with sauce.

For the sauce, combine butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl and microwave until melted. Stir for a couple of minutes to blend evenly. 

The Victory Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Bars

Cooking spray
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 12 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts (about 2 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then line a 13-by-9 inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about an inch (this will help you lift the bar easily from the pan in one piece). Spray the foil with cooking spray.

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugars until combined. Use a whisk or a rubber spatula to mix in the egg, egg yolk, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined (be careful not to over-mix the dough or the bars will be tough). Fold in the chocolate chips and the peanuts.

Scrape the dough into the prepared pan, pressing and smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the top is slightly golden and firm to the touch and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Lift up on the foil overhang to remove the bar from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board. Use a ruler to cut it into 2-inch squares. Enjoy!

Hopefully these dishes will be a touchdown with all your friends and family!

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Parker records first-ever triple-double for Lady Raiders
Next MTSU Women’s Tennis Wins Back-to-Back Matches

1 Comment

1. […] Published on February 9, 2016 by Chelsea Babin Inexpensive Super Bowl Dishes […]