Adkins, Blue Raiders Open Season with Win

By Jake Miller//Contributing Writer

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders baseball team started out the season with a big 7-2 win against the Jacksonville University Dolphins.

Senior Michael Adkins had four RBI in the game to tie his career high and added two doubles to boost the Blue Raiders to the victory.

Adkins triggered Middle Tennessee’s offense with a two-run double to give the Blue Raiders a 2-1 lead early in the contest. Adkins then added to that later in the game by tallying a home run.

The Blue Raiders posted a total of 11 hits all together, with Ronnie Jebavy posting two RBI in the win.

Senior pitcher Johnathan Frebis took the mound for MTSU, going five innings in the game.

Although Frebis allowed two runs in the first inning, he proved to adjust for the remainder of the game with four strike outs and no runs allowed.

Nate Hoffman came in to relieve Frebis. He finished out the final four innings, only allowing one hit to earn the save in his first game for Middle Tennessee.

Jared Allen registered the first hit of the season for the Blue Raiders after sending one straight up the middle. Adkins drove in Allen on an RBI double to give MTSU the first-inning lead.

Later on, a two-out double from Jake Ingold set up two runs in the fifth to give Middle Tennessee a 5-2 advantage.

MTSU added one run in the seventh inning off an Adkins solo home run, followed by an RBI sac fly that scored Allen to give the Blue Raiders the 7-2 win.

The Blue Raiders continue the three-game series tomorrow at 1 p.m. CST at Jacksonville.