Blue Raiders Blow Past La Tech for Win

RUSTON, La. – After a tough loss to Southern Miss Thursday, Middle Tennessee (15-6, 9-2 CUSA) bounced back Saturday with another conference road win, 68-44 over Louisiana Tech (11-11, 6-5 CUSA).

The Blue Raiders leaned on their strong defensive play in the first half to gain a big lead and put away the Lady Techsters early.

Middle Tennessee stretched out their lead in the first half, getting up by as much as 30-14 with under five minutes left in the first half. Louisiana Tech wouldn’t lead at all during the game, and the Blue Raiders would push their lead to 38-18 at the break.

The second half was a back-and-forth struggle for both teams. The Blue Raiders opened the second frame by pushing their lead to 25 at 43-18, and they would lead by as many as 29. The Lady Techsters used runs in the second half to cut into that lead, but they couldn’t combat the scoring prowess of senior Cheyenne Parker.

Parker was the driving force for Middle Tennessee on the night, finishing with 34 points and 17 rebounds. The rest of the Blue Raider offense was scoring-by-committee based, as no other player scored in double figures.

Sophomore Olivia Jones, the leading scorer in Conference-USA, tallied just seven points on the night, while also grabbing 11 rebounds. Senior Shanice Cason also scored seven points for Middle Tennessee.

The Blue Raiders held the rebounding edge overall at 44-40, and were strong inside, outscoring LA Tech in the paint, 32-20.

Middle Tennessee shot 42 percent from the field (23-of-55) on the night, and their stifling defense held the Lady Techsters in check. Louisiana Tech was held to just 25 percent shooting from the field (15-of-60).

The Blue Raiders made 6-of-19 from three-point range (32%), while the Lady Techsters managed to go just 2-of-12 from behind the arc (17%).

Whitney Frazier led the La Tech in scoring, finishing with 12 points, while adding six rebounds. Kevione Moten tallied seven points and ten rebounds on the night.

Middle Tennessee returns home to the Murphy Center on Feb. 12 night to take on Rice. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or reach him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous MTSU Women's Tennis Picks Up Third-Straight Win
Next Blue Raiders Edged by Bulldogs