Blue Raiders Overpower UNO for Fifth-Straight Win

Infielder Jake Ingold slides to the plate at MTSU vs Western Illinois on Monday, Feb. 22, 2015. Blue Raiders defeated the Leatherbacks 2-1. (MTSU Sidelines/Matt Masters)

NEW ORLEANS – Middle Tennessee’s offense came to life Saturday, leading the Blue Raiders to a 13-2 victory over New Orleans, tallying their fifth-straight win.

The win gives MTSU (7-1) their third-consecutive series win on the season. Their 7-1 start is tied for the best eight-game start in program history. The Blue Raiders also started 7-1 back in 1974.

The Blue Raiders recorded 13 hits in total. It was the fifth time they exceeded the 10-hit mark this season. They powered three home runs and three doubles. MTSU has recorded at least two doubles in every game this season.

Five Blue Raiders recorded multi-hit games on Saturday. Four of them recorded multi-RBI games as well.

Infielder Dustin Delgado went 2-for-4, including a career-high three RBI. The senior also extended his reached-base streak to 23 games, and his hitting streak to seven games.

Last night’s hero, Jake Ingold, went 2-for-4 with a homer, driving in three runs on the day. Outfielders Brad Jarreau and Jared Allen drove in three runs as well. Both were 2-for-5 in the game.

Outfielder Ronnie Jebavy drove in one run off a solo homer in the top of the sixth inning. Jebavy stole two bases, and went 2-for-4 at the plate to complete his day. Infielder Austin Bryant followed Jebavy’s lead, blasting a two-run shot in the top of the sixth. He drove in those two runs, and went 1-for-4 on the day.

Pitcher Nate Hoffman made his first start for the Blue Raiders Saturday, going 4 1/3 innings of seven-hit two-run baseball. He also struck out three, but he failed to get the win since he did not go at least five innings.

Pitcher Will Small (1-0) picked up the win, throwing 1 2/3 innings of perfect baseball, including escaping a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the fifth. In the top of the sixth, MTSU scored eight runs to take a commanding 14-2 lead.

The bullpen trio of Small, Benji Cash and Tyler Troutt shut the Privateers down, pitching 4 2/3 innings of two-hit relief, locking down the 15-2 win for the Blue Raiders.

Jordan Priddle (2-1) only went two innings for UNO (4-7), giving up four runs in his time on the mound. The Privateers were forced to use six pitchers in total on the day, which means their bullpen will be tired on Sunday.

The Blue Raiders will look to sweep their second-straight series on Sunday when they face UNO at 1 p.m. CST. Heath Slatton (1-1) is scheduled to start the game for MTSU.

Previous MTSU Loses Steam, Falls to UAB
Next MTSU Softball Adds Two Wins Over the Weekend