Blue Raiders Thunder Past Marshall

HUNTINGTON, W. Va. – Middle Tennessee (18-6, 12-2 C-USA) used a strong first half to earn their fourth-straight win and another conference victory, 74-48, over Marshall (14-10, 6-7 C-USA) Thursday morning.

It was a rare morning tip-off for the Blue Raiders, but they came ready to play, leading from the jump Thursday. They got out to an early 6-0 lead and never looked back.

Sophomore Olivia Jones would be key to stretching the first half lead, extending the lead to as many as 21 with less than three minutes left. Jones last bucket of the first frame led to a 34-13 Blue Raider lead at the half.

The second half was all about maintaining a lead for Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders kept up the pressure against theThundering Herd, forcing turnovers, and making shots to keep their advantage.

Freshman Brea Edwards was pivotal for Middle, hitting five of her seven three-point baskets in the second half. The Blue Raiders never lost momentum, and would secure the 74-48 victory over Marshall.

Edwards had a career day for the Blue Raiders, finishing with 23 points, including seven key three-pointers. Edwards also grabbed 10 rebounds in the game for her first career double-double.

Jones picked up a double-double as well, scoring 22 points on 7-of-15 shootingc and grabbing 12 boards. It was her second-straight double-double, and 10th of the season.

The Blue Raiders were dominant on the glass Thursday. They nearly grabbed twice as many rebounds as the Thundering Herd, finishing with a resounding 51-29 advantage on the boards, including 34 on the defensive side.

Middle Tennessee finished the day shooting 25-of-60 (41.7 percent), while Marshall finished just 15-of-47 (31.9%) for the game.

The Blue Raiders were strong passing the ball as well, assisting on 20 of their 25 made baskets. .

Leah Scott led the Thundering Herd, finishing with 14 points. Chukwuka Ezeigbo tallied nine points and nine rebounds for Marshall in the loss.

Middle Tennessee’s next matchup will be a big one. They will travel to Bowling Green on Saturday to take on Western Kentucky in what will be a matchup of the two best teams in Conference-USA. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. CST.