MTSU Dismisses Parker From Women’s Basketball Team

Senior Cheyenne Parker sets up for a shot during Thursday night's game in Murphy Center against Rice. The Blue Raiders took another win, 79-61. (Greg French/MTSU Sidelines)

MURFREESBORO – Senior standout Cheyenne Parker was dismissed from Middle Tennessee’s women’s basketball team Friday for repeated violations of athletic department policy.

The senior had been suspended at the beginning of the season for five games for an undisclosed violation of athletic department policy. This left her unable to play in the Blue Raiders’ two preseason games and the first three games of the regular season.

“We have high standards at Middle Tennessee,” said MTSU Athletic Director Chris Massaro in a university release. “We expect all of our players to abide by the rules. Unfortunately, (Parker) could not meet those expectations. We wish her well in her future endeavors.”

Parker was averaging a double-double on the season before her dismissal. She was averaging 18.6 points and 11.0 rebounds per game, both ranking second in Conference USA this season.

The 6-foot-4 senior also recorded the first-ever triple-double in school history against Texas-El Paso on January 31. In the game, she scored 18 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and blocked 11 shots.

Parker broke MTSU’s single-season blocks record earlier this month. She recorded 88 blocks on the season, breaking the previous record of 78 set by Kay Willbanks in 1985.

This comes as a serious blow to the Blue Raiders chances of winning their second-straght C-USA women’s basketball tournament. Parker was the leading rebounder and second-leading scorer for the team. She ranked eighth in the nation in field-goal percentage and sixth in the nation in blocks per game.

Parker was tied for the most double-doubles in C-USA this season, amassing 13 such games. She played in 22 games in her only season at MTSU, starting 19 of them.

The senior center had transferred to MTSU after her sophomore season at High Point University in North Carolina. She had to sit out the 2013-2014 season due to NCAA rules.

The Blue Raiders (18-7, 12-3 C-USA) have secured a first-round bye already for next month’s Conference USA tournament, which will be played in Birmingham, Ala. and hosted by Alabama-Birmingham.

MTSU still has three games remaining on their regular-season schedule, beginning with a home game against UAB Saturday at 5 p.m. CST.

Parker remains in good academic standing and is expected to finish the spring semester.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous MTSU Hosts 23rd Annual Invention Convention for Young Inventors
Next MTSU Women's Netters Cruise to Victory Over Samford