MTSU Hosts Annual Blue Raider Leadership Summit

by Tristan Jones // Contributing Writer

MTSU’s Center for Student Involvement and Leadership hosted its annual Blue Raider Leadership Summit in the Student Union Building on Saturday morning.

The event theme, “Oh The Places You’ll Go,” was intended to educate students on how to be effective leaders.

“I had never thought about attending [Blue Raider Leadership Summit] before,” University Studies major Ricardo Ricks said. “But once I got the invitation online, I really started thinking about developing my leadership skills.”

Ricks, 22, was excited about the opportunity to “develop skills that will maximize potential in [the] work force.”

Brigett Griffin, 20, an accounting major at MTSU, said the Blue Raider Leadership Summit is “a great opportunity to enhance leadership skills and be able to get to know my peers.”

“[Blue Raider Leadership Summit] is a great opportunity for developing leadership skills and learning how to stand up and communicate with people will help me with anything I want to do in the future,” Griffin said.

October Henson, MTSU alumni and facilitator for a seminar entitled “All Aboard the Circus, McGurkus” explained how to deal with balancing student life, academics and all the responsibilities of being a student leader, especially when life becomes a bit “like a circus.”

“It’s really difficult to balance everything that being a student leader can throw your way,” Henson said. “It’s exciting to see the next generation of student leaders come through and get to give them some of the advice I wish I would have had, the real nitty-gritty behind the scenes of being involved.”

Any student who is looking for a way to become more involved and develop their leadership skills is encouraged to attend the annual summit.

For more information on next year’s Blue Raider Leadership Summit, visit mtsu.edu/involve

For more campus news and updates follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News 

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com