MTSU rallies past Tennessee Tech

Victor Hoang plays against Jackson State on Friday, Jan. 30, 2015 at Nashville Athletic Club. The score was 7-0 in MTSU's favor. (MTSU Sidelines/Samantha Hearn)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Middle Tennessee’s men’s tennis team wrapped up its weekend at home, winning their match against the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles, 5-2, on Sunday at the Nashboro Village Athletic Club in Nashville.

The match started, however, with the Golden Eagles taking the doubles point.

TTU’s Alex Arovin and Alberto Esteban took the first doubles match of the day, turning back Yannick Born and Victor Hoang, 6-2.

Dima Zyhmantovich and Robin Riethmueller evened it up though for the Blue Raiders, taking their match in a 6-3 decision over Othan Lima and Gagan Jain.

This left the doubles point up for grabs in the deciding match. The point eventually went to the Golden Eagles, as Eduardo Mena and Alvaro Cintas defeated Ben Davis and Ettore Zito, 6-3.

With the doubles point going to TTU, the Blue Raiders had to earn the overall victory in singles play.

MTSU came up big, winning five of the six singles matches.

Davis won his match against Arovin 6-4, 6-3. The Blue Raiders earned another singles point as Zito defeated Esteban 6-3, 6-2.

Hoang also won in straight sets, defeating Cintas 6-1, 6-2. MTSU’s Gian Issa followed the lead of his teammates, earning a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Carlos Tejas.

Riethmueller made quick work of Lima in their match, cruising to a 6-0, 6-1 victory.

The only setback for the Blue Raiders in singles play came in a match between Mena and Zyhmantovich. Lima turned back Zyhmantovich 6-2, 6-4 in Middle Tennessee’s only singles defeat.

However, with MTSU winning five of the six singles matches, they won the overall match, 5-2. The win pushed the Blue Raiders record to 4-1 on the season.

Middle Tennessee will return to the courts for a huge matchup this Friday against No. 26-ranked Vanderbilt. The match will be hosted by Vanderbilt and is set to start at 2 p.m. CST.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Special Session on Insure Tennessee Underway Today
Next Katy Perry Rocks Super Bowl Halftime Show