MTSU Tennis Splits Friday Matches

Etorre Zito, a senior exchange student from Sicily, and Ben Davis, a senior exchange student from London, play against Jackson State on Friday, Jan. 30, 2015. The score was 7-0 for an MTSU win at Nashville Athletic Club. (MTSU Sidelines/Grant Massey)

Middle Tennessee’s men’s and women’s tennis teams split their Friday matches. The men fell to No. 23-ranked South Carolina, 4-1, and the women picked up their fourth-straight win of the spring season after defeating Old Dominion, 5-2.

The Blue Raider men were competitive in doubles play. The duo of Yannick Born and Gian Issa lost their doubles match after jumping out to an early lead.

MTSU evened things up after Ben Davis and Victor Hoang earned an impressive win over the Gamecocks’ No. 46 ITA nationally ranked pair of Thomas Mayronne and Harrison O’Keefe.

MTSU was not able to secure the doubles point as Robin Riethmueller and Dima Zyhmantovich fell in their doubles match, thus giving South Carolina the 1-0 lead.

Davis was the only Blue Raider to pick up a singles victory, tallying the lone point for Middle Tennessee in the match. Zito, Zyhmantovich and Hoang all lost their matches, giving South Carolina the 4-1 win.

Issa and Riethmueller were playing competitively in their matches, but both of them went unfinished as the Gamecocks had already earned enough points for the victory.

The loss dropped MTSU to a 4-3 record on the season.

Middle Tennessee’s women’s tennis team earned their fourth-straight victory Friday against Old Dominion in Norfolk, Va., defeating the Monarchs, 5-2.

Doubles play has been strong for the Blue Raiders during their win streak. They have taken the doubles point in each of their last four matches.

This trend proved to continue on Friday.

Giulia Squadrin and Jesse Grace went on to win the first doubles match of the day, but Nayara Moraes and Brittany Huxley dropped the next doubles match to even things up.

Tiffany William and Darya Shulzhanok earned a victory in the third doubles match to give the Blue Raiders a 1-0 lead.

Singles play also went to the Blue Raiders. Shulzhanok, Squadrin, Huxley and Moraes all earned singles points for Middle Tennessee.

Grace and Huxley suffered setbacks in their matches, giving ODU their only two points. With the doubles point and four singles points, MTSU went on to earn the victory, 5-2.

With this win, the Blue Raiders improved to 7-2 on the season.

Shulzhanok and William moved to 5-0 on the season in doubles play with their win Friday. Moraes improved her singles record to 8-0, adding to her current C-USA lead in wins.

Shulzhanok is not far behind Moraes though. She is now 7-0 in singles play for the season.

Previous Sidelines FM: 02/13/15
Next Adkins, Blue Raiders Open Season with Win