MTSU Track & Field Finishes Seventh at C-USA Championships

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Both Middle Tennessee’s men’s and women’s track & field teams finished seventh at the Conference-USA Track & Field Championships in Birmingham Thursday.

The men placed seventh out of nine teams, finishing with 48 points. The women also finished seventh out of 12 teams with 44.50 points.

In the men’s heptathlon, only one Blue Raider, junior Atsu Nyamadi, competed. Nyamadi finished fourth overall in the event, posting a final score of 5061. Nyamadi would not finish worse than fourth in any of his individual events.

Nyamadi finished first in two events, the long jump and the 1000-meter run. In the long jump, Nyamadi earned a final score of 7.23 meters, amassing 869 points towards his total. In the 1000-meter run, Nyamadi finished with an overall time of 2:54, resulting in 717 points.

Nyamadi finished fourth behind Chris Sanders, K’Vonte Scott, and Scott Filip. Sanders and Filip both competed for Rice University, while Scott competed for Charlotte.

In the men’s 5000-meter, MTSU freshman Amos Cheruiyot finished fourth overall, with a final time of 14:39. Cheruiyot earned five points for the men’s team’s overall score for the day.

Sophomore Hillary Rono earned the Blue Raider men another five points, finishing fourth in the mile. Rono posted a time of 4:08, and was less than a second behind third-place finisher Troy Taylor of North Texas.

Rono also finished second in the 800-meter Thursday, with a time of 1:54. Rono was just milliseconds behind first-place finisher David Diaz from Rice.

The Blue Raiders earned their first event win as a team in the men’s distance medley. The foursome consisted of junior Alden Dixon, freshman Ifiok Umoh, freshman Geoffry Cheruiyot and sophomore Hillary Rono. MTSU finished with a time of 10:10, and earned the men’s group 10 points.

Overall, the men’s team finished with 48 points, good enough for seventh overall. Western Kentucky’s men won the overall with a final score of 116.

In the women’s individual running events, junior Hannah Maina earned eight points as she finished second overall in the mile. Maina finished less than a second behind first-place finisher Susie Kemper from North Texas.

In the 4×400 relay, the Blue Raider women finished fourth, earning five key points for their total. The team consisted of sophomore Taylor Day, sophomore Barbara Vilson, sophomore Shaina Johnson and freshman Loveth Odia. The foursome finished with a final time of 3:46.

The women’s team finished the day seventh overall also, ending with a total score of 44.50. Texas-El Paso finished first overall on the women’s side with a final score of 122.

Rounding out the day for the MTSU was the field events. Both the men’s and the women’s teams finished seventh on the afternoon, posting respective scores of 33 and 35.

Junior India Hammond finished second in the women’s long jump with a final of 6.05 meters. Hammond’s spot earned the Blue Raiders eight points toward their total.

Junior Vincent Okot finished third in the men’s triple jump, earning MTSU six points on the day. Okot posted a final of 15.25 meters.

The Blue Raiders will head to the NCAA Indoor Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. The championships will be held from March 13-14.

Previous Obama Highlights Tennessee's Economic Impact
Next MTSU Hosts 23rd Annual Invention Convention for Young Inventors