MTSU Wins Fourth Straight in Extra Innings

MTSU Blue Raiders win 2-1 against the Western Illinois Leathernecks on Monday, Feb. 22, 2015. (MTSU Sidelines/Matt Masters)

NEW ORLEANS – Middle Tennessee (6-1) needed 12 innings Friday night, but they came out with the 2-1 win over New Orleans, with an RBI single by senior Jake Ingold in the top of the 12th proving to be the winning hit.

The Blue Raiders had men on base in the ninth and 10th inning, but the Privateers (4-6) turned a double play in both innings to keep MTSU off the board.

The Blue Raiders loaded the bases in the 11th, but senior Austin Bryant would fly out to left to end the the scoring chance, also ending his 11-game hitting streak.

In the top of the 12th, senior Jared Allen reached on a dropped third strike to start the inning. Senior Michael Adkins laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Allen into scoring position with one out.

Allen then stole third to put the winning run only 90 feet away. Ingold platted Allen on a single up the middle, putting MTSU up 2-1.

Ingold went 2-for-5 with one RBI in the game. Senior Dustin Delgado also had two hits and provided the the team’s only other RBI, driving in sophomore Kaleb King in the second inning on a sacrifice fly. Delgado extended his reached-base streak in the game to 22 with a single in the top of the third.

Sophomore Brad Jarreau was the only other Blue Raider to have a multi-hit game. The outfielder went 2-for-3 on the night, walking twice.

Junior Sam Alton (1-0) picked up the win after shutting down the Privateers in both the 11th and the 12th.

Senior Johnathan Frebis deserved the win. The left-handed pitcher threw 103 pitches in a season-high  7 1/3 innings of work, giving up two hits and zero earned runs. He also struck out seven batters, tying his single-game record.

After Frebis was pulled, Alton, freshman Blake Stansberry and senior Nathan Foriest only allowed two hits over 4 2/3 innings to keep New Orleans in check. The four pitchers combined to allow only four hits all night.

Jonathan Santana drove in the only run for the Privateers in the bottom of the second inning off a Delgado throwing error that allowed a run to score.

Kevin Kelleher(0-2) was credited with the loss for New Orleans. Starter Shawn Semple was equally as effective as Frebis. Semple went six innings, giving up one run on five hits, and striking out five batters.

The Blue Raiders will continue their series New Orleans on Saturday. First pitch is set for noon CST.

Previous Blue Raiders Not Enough, Lose to No. 20 Northwestern
Next Blue Raiders Lose In Triple Overtime