MTSU Women’s Netters Cruise to Victory Over Samford

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee (9-3) dominated from the get-go Friday afternoon, cruising to a 7-0 victory over Samford (4-5).

At No. 1 singles, Tiffany William used a strong third set to earn her sixth victory of the year. William won a tiebreaker in the first set 7-6 before suffering a setback in the second, losing 6-2. William rallied in the third, taking it, and the match 7-6, 2-6, 7-5.

Darya Shulzhanok made things look easy at No. 2 singles Friday, improving her record to 9-1 on the year. Shulzhanok dominated both sets, winning 6-2, 6-0.

At No. 3 singles Jesse Grace picked up her fifth win of the season, rallying from one set down to defeat Samford’s Jessica Northcutt. Grace fell behind after losing the first set 6-2, but she battled back and took the second set quickly 6-3 to even the score. Grace and Northcutt battled in the third set, with Grace winning it, and the set in a tiebreak 2-6, 6-3, 7-6.

In arguably the closest match of the day, Giulia Squadrin earned the Blue Raiders another victory after three-straight set tiebreakers. Squadrin took the first set 7-6 over her opponent, Carita Moolman. Moolman won the tiebreaker in the second set to tie the match, winning it 7-6. Squadrin found a way in the final set, earning her ninth win of the season, 7-6, 6-7, 7-6.

At No. 5 singles, Brittany Huxley followed the lead of her teammate Jesse Grace, rallying from a set down to win Friday. Huxley lost the first set handily to Bulldog Iva Parapunova, 6-3, before cruising in the final two sets, winning both 6-1. Huxley’s victory was her seventh of the year.

Nayara Moraes fell behind early in her match at No. 6 singles. Samford’s Savannah Wood won the first set Friday 6-0, and looked in control. Moraes, battling to keep her record perfect on the year, found her groove in the second set, winning it 6-4. In the third set, Moraes looked confident and never lost touch, taking it and the match 0-6, 6-4, 6-0. Moraes improved her record to 10-0 on the year.

Earning the final point of the day for the Blue Raiders were the doubles pairs of Giulia Squadrin/Jesse Grace and Brittany Huxley/Nayara Moraes. Sqaudrin/Grace won their match 8-6 over Samford’s Paparunova/Wood. Huxley/Moraes secured the doubles point for MTSU with their match victory 8-7 over the duo of Ebada/Northcutt.

The doubles point finished the sweep for MTSU, dominating Samford 7-0.

The Blue Raiders will look to carry this momentum into Sunday when they host a doubleheader against Western Kentucky and Lipscomb. The first match against WKU is scheduled to get underway at 1 p.m. CST.

Previous MTSU Dismisses Parker From Women's Basketball Team
Next Blue Raiders Not Enough, Lose to No. 20 Northwestern