MTSU Women’s Tennis Keeps Rolling with Win at VCU

RICHMOND, Va. – It was a close one Saturday afternoon at VCU (6-3), but MTSU (8-2) kept their winning streak alive, earning their fifth-straight win, 4-3.

It would come down to the last singles match between the Blue Raiders’ Nayara Moraes and the Rams’ Alejandra de Lasa to decide the winner. Moraes would take the decisive point for MTSU in a 6-3, 6-3 final to give the Blue Raiders the win. The senior netter improved her singles record to 9-0 for the season, which leads Conference-USA.

Once again, doubles play was strong for Middle Tennessee. They won the doubles point for the fifth-straight match, all leading to wins.

Moraes and Brittany Huxley would would put away VCU’s Cindy Chala and Salome Kvitashvili 6-2 to take the first doubles match.

Doubles play was even at 1-1 when Jesse Grace and Giulia Squadrin secured the doubles point for the Blue Raiders with their 6-3 victory. MTSU would head to singles play up 1-0.

The singles matches would be highly-contested. Grace extended the Blue Raiders lead to 2-0 with her easy 6-2, 6-1 win over the Rams’ Olga Barscheuskaya. VCU would not quit though.

William and Huxley would drop their singles matches. Williams fell 3-6, 0-6 to Chala. Huxley would battle VCU’s Ludivine Burguiere, but she would suffer a 3-6, 5-7 setback. After these two decisions, the match was all knotted up, 2-2.

Darya Shulzhanok would continue her unbeaten streak in singles play this season, turning back the Rams’ Kvitashvili 7-5, 6-4 to give MTSU the 3-2 lead. The win pushed Shulzhanok’s singles record to 8-0 for the season.

VCU would come right back though. Squadrin would drop a tough match to Darya Berezhnaya 3-6, 6-7 (3). The match was now tied 3-3, leaving it up to Moraes to secure the decisive point.

Moraes would not disappoint for the Blue Raiders. She picked up the vital fourth point in a 6-3, 6-3 decision over de Lasa. This gave MTSU the 4-3 victory.

The win pushed the Blue Raiders record to 8-2 this season, making it their fifth-straight victory.

MTSU will look to keep streaking next Saturday when they head to Starksville, Miss. to take on Mississippi State.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at@Sidelines_Sport.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or contact him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous Our Thoughts on 'Fifty Shades of Grey' | Shelf Life
Next Photo Gallery: Stepping for a Cure