MTSU Women’s Tennis Picks Up Third-Straight Win

It was a clean sweep for the Middle Tennessee women’s tennis team on Saturday against UT-Martin, shutting out the Skyhawks, 7-0, for their third-straight victory.

The Blue Raiders would not only blank the Skyhawks in points, but they also did not lose a single set in the entire match.

Doubles play didn’t have much excitement as MTSU secured the doubles point after winning the first two matches. Giulia Squadrin and Jesse Grace earned the first win for the Blue Raiders, winning 6-1.

Brittany Huxley and Nayara Moraes would lock up the doubles point for MTSU by winning their match 6-3. Darya Shulzhanok and Tiffany William were down in their match, 3-4, but it would go unfinished since the doubles point was already secured.

Singles play would be dominated by the Blue Raiders as well, but the Skyhawks would prove to be very competitive in many of the matches.

Squadrin and Huxley made quick work of their opponents. Squadrin earned a point for MTSU with a 6-0, 6-2 win. Huxley followed in her teammate’s footsteps, turning back her opponent 6-0, 6-2.

William secured the victory for the Blue Raiders, picking up a 6-4, 6-2 victory.

The last three matches provided much more excitement. Moraes would win her first set, 6-2. However, the second set was a seesaw affair that was much more difficult for Moraes, but she would win the set, 7-5, and take the match.

Shulzhanok and Grace both had to fight back Skyhawk netters to pick up their victories. Shulzhanok won a highly-contested affair 6-4, 7-6 (7-1). Huxley struggled to put her opponent away in the first set, but she found her stride in the second set, earning a 7-6 (8-6), 6-2 win.

The Huxley win finished off the sweep for MTSU, blanking UTM, 7-0. Their record now sits at 6-2 on the season.

The Blue Raiders kept many undefeated streaks going in this match.

With the victory, MTSU moved to 3-0 when they are the home team. The tandem of William and Shulzhanok are still 4-0 in doubles plain this season since their match Saturday went unfinished.

Squadrin and Grace are now 2-0 this season after their win on Saturday.

Also, Moraes and Shulzhanok kept their unbeaten records in singles play going. Moraes is now 7-0 on the season, while Shulzhanok is 6-0.

Middle Tennessee will look to continue their winning streak on Feb. 13 at Old Dominion in Norfolk, Virginia. The match is slated for a 4 p.m. start.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous MTSU Poll: Measures Tennessean's Opinions on Abortion, Same-Sex Marriage, Gas Tax Increase
Next Blue Raiders Blow Past La Tech for Win