Potts Receives Multiple Awards for Impressive Week

Freshman guard Giddy Potts receives a pass during the match against Marshall. Coach Kermit Davis and the Blue Raiders trample the Thundering Heard in a 90-51 victory on the night of Thursday February, 19th. (MTSU Sidelines/R.J. Estrella)

MURFREESBORO – MTSU freshman guard Giddy Potts racked up numerous awards Monday for his string of stellar performances last week, being named Conference USA Freshman of the Week, College Sports Madness C-USA Player of the Week and TSWA Player of the Week.

Potts averaged 25 points in two games last week for the Blue Raiders, both important conference wins.

The freshman scored a career-high 28 points in MTSU’s 90-51 blowout victory over Marshall. He also connected on a Blue Raider freshman-record eight three-pointers.

His eight three-pointers are the most by any C-USA player in a game this season.

He followed up that performance with a 22-point outing against Western Kentucky, leading the Blue Raiders to a 68-66 win over their long-time rival.

Before this past week, Potts was averaging just 5.4 points per game and his career-high for a single game was 14 points.

After these two breakout games, the freshman has boosted that average by more than a point to 6.8 points per game.

These are Potts’ first awards since joining the Blue Raiders this season. He is the second Blue Raider this season to be named C-USA Freshman of the Week, joining Edward Simpson who received the honor back in December.

MTSU will need Potts to remain hot as they head into their final three games of the regular season and next month’s conference tournament in Birmingham, Alabama.

Previous Center for Popular Music Director's Dual Passions Come Together for Performance
Next Two Massage Parlors and a Residence Raided by MPD Under Suspicion of Prostitution