Stockstill to Redshirt 2015 Baseball Season

Brent Stockstill, son head football coach Rick Stockstill, will take a redshirt for the 2015 baseball season to focus on football for the upcoming season.

MTSU baseball coach Jim McGuire confirmed Stockstill’s decision to take a redshirt in 2015 on Tuesday.

Stockstill, a two-sport star at Siegel High School, made eight appearances for the Blue Raiders’ baseball team in 2014. The left-handed pitcher finished the season posting a 1.69 ERA.

If Stockstill returns to the diamond in 2016, he will be classified as a redshirt sophomore.

The 6-foot, 190-pounder was the third-string quarterback last season, but looks to have moved his way up the depth chart with the departure of backup A.J. Erdely.

As a redshirt freshman, Stockstill played in one game, completing two of his three passes for 41 yards.

Stockstill will return as a redshirt freshman when spring practice begins in March.

His focus on football is centered on the starting quarterback position. He will be battling for the job with junior signal caller Austin Grammer. Grammer was a starter in 2014, leading the Blue Raiders to a 6-6 record.

Head coach Rick Stockstill had previously stated that Grammer would start spring practice as the number one quarterback, but that the starting job would remain an open competition.

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or reach him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous Judge Seals Evidence in Vanderbilt Rape Trial
Next MTSU Honors Lecture Series: A Nearly Lost History