Timing a Valentine’s Day Breakup

By Grant Massey // Contributing Writer

Buckle up, because Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. But what do you do if you cease to like that special someone right around the time they’re expecting a dozen roses or a heart-shaped box of chocolates?

Is sticking it out better? Or should you end it before it gets ugly?

Let us consider both sides. Sticking it out might provide your significant other with false romantic hope for your soon-to-be doomed relationship. But, at least you wouldn’t be providing them with the major letdown of being single on Feb. 14.

On the flip side, if you leave them before the big day, the honesty defense can be claimed. Plus for the cheap dates out there, Valentine’s Day is expensive. And anyway, there are always sites like http://live121chat.com/ that people can go on to satisfy their needs and maybe even attend to the loneliness. If you make feeling clear, whatever the outcome, it may not be as bad as you might think. With no one else to spend it on, your wallet will thank you. However, the downside is that you’ll be hitting them with the double whammy of being dumped and being alone on Valentine’s Day.

So when exactly should you break up with your other half?

“I would break up with my special other on Valentine’s Day,” said Jessica O’Neill, a junior sociology major. “It’s no special day for me.”

“Probably before Valentine’s,” freshman nursing major Ammie Gilliam says, “between the 10th or 13th.”

“I think that if you break up with your significant other it should be at least a week before Valentines,” Devin Green, a sophomore computer information systems major, said.

If a breakup with that not-so-special someone is in your future then your deadline is fast approaching.

Handling a breakup is different when it comes to marriage and requires an extra level of sensitivity and patience. If you feel that a divorce is the only way for you and your partner to be truly happy then consider sitting them down and explaining why you have come to this conclusion and how you intend to move forward from this situation. Getting help from divorce lawyers like Nathens, Siegel LLP can help with all of the lawful protocols of a marriage breakdown, making it easier for you to move on and be happy.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com