Women’s Tennis’ Five-Game Winning Streak Snapped at MSU

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Middle Tennessee (8-3) battled Saturday morning, but was ultimately overpowered 5-0 by No. 71 Mississippi State (8-1) to end their five-match winning streak.

The Blue Raiders struggled to match MSU in singles play, failing to win a single set through five matches Saturday.

At No. 1 singles, Tiffany William proved to have the best performance for the Blue Raiders, despite losing.

William held an early lead in the first set against Georgiana Patrasc before losing the set in a tiebreak 7-6(3). Patrasc controlled the second set, winning the set and match, 7-6(3), 6-4.

Darya Shulzhanok could not find a rhythm against the Bulldog’s Jasmine Lee, dropping both sets handily 6-0, 6-1.

This was Shulzhanok’s first loss in singles play for the season, holding an 8-0 record entering into that matchup.

At No. 3 singles for MTSU, Jesse Grace could not get any momentum going either, falling in two sets as well, 6-1, 6-2.

Giulia Squadrin, like William, found a groove and put forth a solid effort against her opponent at No. 4 singles.

MSU’s Louise Ronaldson won the first set, 6-3, but had to battle in the second. Squadrin forced a tiebreaker in the second set but ultimately lost it, and the match, 6-3, 7-6(3).

At No. 5 singles, Brittany Huxley secured a pair of game wins in the first set for the Blue Raiders. Huxley could not muster any more success after that though, losing in straight sets to MSU’s Jennifer Brown, 6-2, 6-0.

The Bulldogs secured the match with Brown’s win, taking it in a 5-0 sweep.

This is MTSU’s third loss this season to a Southeastern Conference foe. They lost earlier this season to No. 28 Auburn, 4-0, and No. 33 Tennessee, 4-3.

The Blue Raiders will look to bounce back as they host Samford Friday. The match is scheduled for a 1 p.m. CST start.

UPDATE: Doubles scores will be posted when available.

Previous State of Emergency in Tennessee Raised
Next MTSU Turns Over Ball, First Place to WKU