Blue Raider Miscues Lead to Loss at Belmont

MTSU Blue Raiders win 2-1 against the Western Illinois Leathernecks on Monday, Feb. 22, 2015. (MTSU Sidelines/Matt Masters)

NASHVILLE – Middle Tennessee (11-7, 3-0 C-USA) could not muster enough offense Tuesday, falling to in-state rival Belmont 8-2 at Rose Park.

The Blue Raiders started strong in Tuesday’s contest when senior Jared Allen notched his fourth homer, a solo shot, of the year in the bottom of the second inning, giving MTSU the 1-0 advantage.

From that point on, Belmont (9-9, 2-0 OVC) took control of the game, tying the game off a single by Tyler Fullerton in the bottom of the third inning. The Bruins scored a pair in the bottom of the fourth off a Dom Veltri two run blast, and led 3-1 over the Blue Raiders.

Mental mistakes by MTSU in the bottom of the seventh led to insurance runs for the Bruins, leading the Blue Raiders to be down 5-1. Allen earned his second RBI of the game with a sacrifice fly in the top of the eighth closing the gap to 5-2..

Belmont came right back though in the bottom of the inning, plating three more runs. This was too much for MTSU to overcome, as they lost 8-2

Allen led the Blue Raiders offensively, finishing 2-for-3 with two RBI and a home run.

MTSU actually outhit Belmont 6-4, but miscues cost the Blue Raiders the game. They committed two throwing errors, and MTSU pitchers struggled mightily with control, hitting six Belmont batters and walking five.

Junior Heath Slatton (1-4) took the loss for the Blue Raiders. Slatton went five innings, giving up three hits and three earned runs. He also plunked three batters and walked one.

Freshman reliever Blake Stansberry’s streak of five-consecutive scoreless outing came to an end Tuesday, as he gave up two runs (one earned) in the seventh inning. His scoreless streak was snapped at 11 and one-thirds innings.

The Bruins had two players with multi-RBI games. Veltri had a 1-for-2 day, racking up two RBI and three runs. Drew Ferguson failed to record a hit in the game, but he still managed two RBI.

Middle Tennessee will return to conference play Friday when it begins a three-game series with Florida Atlantic. First pitch is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. CST.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous Nissan Project to Bring 1000 Jobs to Smyrna
Next Alternative Spring Break: Students Opt for Service over Sunbathing