Blue Raider Women’s Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader

NASHVILLE – Middle Tennessee’s women’s tennis team (11-3) swept both their matches Sunday, turning back Western Kentucky 4-1, and blanking Lipscomb 7-0.

The day started with competition against WKU.

Doubles action was quickly settled by the Blue Raiders. At No. 3 doubles, Giulia Squadrin and Jesse Grace defeated WKU’s Gabby Crofford and Emily Przystawski in impressive 8-1 fashion.

Brittany Huxley and Nayara Moraes followed suit at No. 2 doubles, earning an 8-3 win over Tereza Hejlova and Elpida Malamous to pick up the doubles point for MTSU.

The third doubles match was a tight 6-5 affair, but it went unfinished as the Blue Raiders had already locked up the point.

Singles play saw some highly competitive play. WKU’s Andrea Christopoulou turned back Squadrin 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4 singles to earn a point for the Hilltoppers. It proved to be their only point on the day.

Darya Shulzhanok dropped her first set to Hejlova 4-6 at No. 2 singles. Shulzhanok battled back to take the second set 6-4. She blanked Hejlova 6-0 in the third set, providing another point for the Blue Raiders.

Huxley wasted no time disposing of Crofford at No. 5 singles 6-1, 6-0. Tiffany William had to battle for her point at No. 1 singles. Her match with Emilia Granstrom ended up going three sets, with William eventually winning 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

William’s triumph sealed the 4-1 victory for MTSU. The last two singles matches went unfinished since the Blue Raiders had secured the win.

With that win under their belt, they turned their focus to Lipscomb.

In doubles play, the results were much the same as the previous match. Squadrin and Grace notched a 8-1 win over the Lady Bison’s Danielle Kinnen and Hannah Gamage at No. 3 doubles.

Shulzhanok and William secured the doubles point for the Blue Raiders with a 8-3 triumph at No. 1 doubles over Melissa Kromer and Laura Kent. Huxley and Moraes dropped fell 5-8 at No. 2 doubles to Jenny Borck and Deahna Welcher, which came after MTSU had already tallied the doubles point.

The Blue Raiders made quick work of the Lady Bison in singles action. Shulzhanok made it look easy at No. 2 singles, powering by Kent 6-3, 6-0

Grace added another point for MTSU, defeating Welcher in two sets at No. 3 singles 7-5, 6-1. Squadrin clinched the match by beating Kromer 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4 singles.

William kept Lipscomb off the board, turning back Gamage at No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-3.

With the match already in hand, Huxley and Moraes competed in eight-game pro set’s against their opponents. At No. 5 singles, Huxley cruised to a 8-3 win over Borck. Moraes squeaked by Lorena Djuknic 8-6 at No. 6 singles, completing the 7-0 shutout for the Blue Raiders.

The two wins Sunday moved MTSU to 11-3 on the season. The two wins also helped the Blue Raiders remain undefeated at home, improving to 6-0.

Middle Tennessee’s next match will be at Tennessee-Chattanooga on Wednesday. The match is set to start at 2 p.m. CST.

Previous Blue Raiders Denied Sweep at UNO
Next Chris Brown, Trey Songz Join Forces at Bridgestone Arena